Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 10:51:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Letters from Social Security Disability
| |-+  Administrative Law Judge Hearing Letters
| | |-+  Exhibit 17F & 18F?
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Exhibit 17F & 18F?  (Read 733 times)
stage4survivor
~ Bronze ~

People helped 1

« on: January 06, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »

I had my ALJ hearing early December 2016 and received a letter couple days ago citing further evidence found under Ex17F & 18F but, have no clue what this implies, positive or negative?
I was told this ALJ will attempt to "do the right thing" and has a 70% approval rate.
Any help appreciated
SFVLance
~ Platinum ~

People helped 14

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »

That's a little vague. The exhibits correspond to 17F and 18F in your case file, but what is the context of the letter?
Name: Lance
Age at Application: 46
Disability: Severe Depression, Anxiety, PTSD
Date Applied: June 1, 2012
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied August 31, 2012
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: No Recon in my region of CA
Hearing Date: January 25, 2013; Remand Hearing March 13, 2017
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Denied February 20, 2013; Federally Remanded, Bench Decision March 13, 2017
Additional Info: Got Federal remand; 2nd hearing postponed, rescheduled Fall 2016. Postponed again - finally held March 2017.
stage4survivor
~ Bronze ~

People helped 1

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »

That's all I know.
They referenced 17F & 18F but, I have no clue what these exhibits pertain to, no additional info in this letter.
I've tried googling without luck & my attorney is out of town.
newdawn
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 84

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 04:29:08 PM »

When your lawyer and the judge look at the evidence in your electronic file, each group of evidence from a doctor or hospital is labelled as an exhibit. The exhibit number is of no use to you unless you have access to your electronic case file as the judge and your lawyer do. I assume the reason there are labelled exhibits is to organize your case file so that when the judge or lawyer want to reference a certain record, everyone is looking at the same page of the same record.

I mention this because I just got my case file on a CD yesterday and when I open the index file, it clearly lists all the exhibits and a brief description of the contents of the exhibit/evidence and the dates the evidence covers. So for example, in my file, there are listed exhibits 1F-13F under "Medical Records". These "F" exhibits are all medical evidence. They appear to be grouped together the way they were received. For instance, Exhibit 1F in my file is "Progress Notes" from my psychiatrist covering a period from 04/2012-12/2013. When I click on the link in the index it brings up the document which is 27 pages of notes from my psychiatrist, likely faxed in one group to SSA. There are other "F" exhibits from my psychiatrist but she probably faxed those in on different dates.

So that's the "F" exhibits. There are also "E" exhibits which are things that I completed like the Adult Function Report and Work History Report. There's one "D" exhibit which is my original application for disability, some "B" exhibits like my request for a hearing form and representative fee agreement, and "A" exhibits such as the DDE (Disability Determination Explanation) from my initial and reconsideration denials.

So, long story short, I have no idea what it means that the judge is citing further evidence from your "F" exhibits. But I take it to mean the judge has found further evidence to support his/her decision (whether favorable or unfavorable) in two medical evidence exhibits (groups of medical records that are in evidence).

However, even if you had access to your electronic file to know which pieces of medical evidence the exhibits correspond to, it may not give you much more of a clue because one exhibit could be 30+ pages of medical records covering many months and you don't know where in that exhibit the judge has cherry-picked something. Some exhibits might only be a few pages, but some are longer.

Basically, I think there's nothing you can do but wait to ask your lawyer when they're back in town to see if they think it's indicative of anything, positive or negative.
Name: Dawn
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Date Applied: 11/2013
First Approval/Denial Date: 03/2014
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 11/2014
Hearing Date: 11/13/2015 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 01/15/2016 Fully Favorable (rec'd 01/21)
Date Award Letter Received: 02/17/2016 (rec'd 02/20)
Date Back Pay Received: 02/13/2016 (paper check)
Additional Info: 02/09/16 mySSA account updated with approval info. 02/22 rec'd medicare card in mail. Hired lawyer after reconsideration denial. Requested an in-person hearing.
stage4survivor
~ Bronze ~

People helped 1

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »

Many thanks for your thorough explanation. My attorney initially suggested any vision deficit greater than 20% should be an automatic approval since it impairs my ability to read.
Guess I have to wait
Different Perspective
~ Platinum ~

People helped 558

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »

"...received a letter couple days ago citing further evidence found under Ex17F & 18F..."  Original post this thread.

Lance and Dawn have pretty well laid it out.  Surely the ALJ cited something about the [/i]"further evidence found under Ex 17F & 18F"[/i].  What, exactly, did the ALJ say about the two exhibits? 

"My attorney initially suggested any vision deficit greater than 20% should be an automatic approval since it impairs my ability to read."  Reply #4.

Interesting statement.  On what basis, what Program Operations Manual System or other official ruling from SSA did s/he suggest proved impaired ability to read was an automatic approval?  What does a deficit greater than 20% mean?  Visual acuity?  Visual efficiency?  Field of vision?

Your, and your attorney's responses will certainly be welcomed
Additional Info: My Different Perspective comes from a lifetime of being near, working with and for those with disabilities, working for the Easter Seal Society, working for the Disability Determination Services (20+ years) and working as a case assistant to an attorney who, until he retired, worked on SSA disability cases exclusively and have attended approximately 185 Hearings. I have great empathy for the truly disabled and greater antipathy for those who try to game or scam the system. With my background, I quickly make distinctions between the two. I am ready to admit my error as soon as the evidence proves me wrong. Any posts I make are based on my experience, memory and current research. Anything, particularly opinions, I post should be verified by someone who has access to the entire case record and not just selected shorts offered by those seeking information, preferably by a competent attorney or non-attorney representative who thoroughly understands SSA law.
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 258

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »

The Listing requirement is 20/200 in the better eye with the use of a corrective lens.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 9904
  • Latest: mudjazz
Stats
  • Total Posts: 200481
  • Total Topics: 19650
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 52
Total: 56

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc