Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2017, 07:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  SSDI and SSI Disability Application Process
| |-+  Administrative Law Judge Hearings
| | |-+  Sharing ALJ Hearing for those facing same
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Sharing ALJ Hearing for those facing same  (Read 807 times)
marymoore
~ Copper ~

People helped 2

« on: January 07, 2017, 05:21:41 PM »

Hello to all,
Am posting about my ALJ hearing this past week, hopefully to help others who will be doing this also.
 I almost dropped my case recently knowing full well it is unlikely that I would win the case. I went without representation after talking to a few Lawyers who either turned me down or wanted to come in at the last minute and collect fees. Instead I spent a lot of time reading all of my paperwork and prepared myself extremely well. It took the stress out of the meeting and I was calm. I ran on the faith that I would be fine by presenting the facts and telling the truth.

The meeting lasted one hour.  The Judge was very professional, not warm or friendly with small talk but all business. This is the part I think might be helpful to others as to what could happen. The Judge asked me a lot of questions and this went on for quite a while. Then he, the Judge escalated the questions at a very fast quip and was shuffling the paperwork around in quite a distracting way. It was rapid fire questions and very aggressive. During this time I thought what is going on, I was distracted by his activity and ended up stumbling a bit with one of my answers. The answer was OK but it still felt like a gotcha moment from the Judge which is what I think he was after.

In watching TV shows about crime and how detectives will question a suspect by drilling them backwards and forwards to get to the truth, in retrospect I thought it was very much the same style of interrogation.

There was a Vocational expert present who answered questions and shortly after that the session was over.
I was told two months for a final decision as they are getting results from Doctor appointments I had in December.

I am so glad this is over, win or lose, an enormous weight has been lifted off of me, 2 1/2 years after filing. Thankfully I am in a position where I am not starving, have been there before and it is not fun.
Planning on posting again when decision is received.
Thanks to so many who were helpful here during this time.
Wishing you all the best of luck through a very difficult process. Main07

Name: Mary
wornoutworker
~ Gold ~

People helped 13

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:04:24 PM »

Thank you for sharing. You have done all you can to make a tough situation better.
Age at Application: 55
Disability: Lower spine
Date Applied: 1/14
First Approval/Denial Date: 7/14
Date Award Letter Received: 7/14
Date Back Pay Received: 7/14
Atticus
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »

Hello to all,
Am posting about my ALJ hearing this past week, hopefully to help others who will be doing this also.
 I almost dropped my case recently knowing full well it is unlikely that I would win the case. I went without representation after talking to a few Lawyers who either turned me down or wanted to come in at the last minute and collect fees. Instead I spent a lot of time reading all of my paperwork and prepared myself extremely well. It took the stress out of the meeting and I was calm. I ran on the faith that I would be fine by presenting the facts and telling the truth.

The meeting lasted one hour.  The Judge was very professional, not warm or friendly with small talk but all business. This is the part I think might be helpful to others as to what could happen. The Judge asked me a lot of questions and this went on for quite a while. Then he, the Judge escalated the questions at a very fast quip and was shuffling the paperwork around in quite a distracting way. It was rapid fire questions and very aggressive. During this time I thought what is going on, I was distracted by his activity and ended up stumbling a bit with one of my answers. The answer was OK but it still felt like a gotcha moment from the Judge which is what I think he was after.

In watching TV shows about crime and how detectives will question a suspect by drilling them backwards and forwards to get to the truth, in retrospect I thought it was very much the same style of interrogation.

There was a Vocational expert present who answered questions and shortly after that the session was over.
I was told two months for a final decision as they are getting results from Doctor appointments I had in December.

I am so glad this is over, win or lose, an enormous weight has been lifted off of me, 2 1/2 years after filing. Thankfully I am in a position where I am not starving, have been there before and it is not fun.
Planning on posting again when decision is received.
Thanks to so many who were helpful here during this time.
Wishing you all the best of luck through a very difficult process. Main07

Good luck! Thanks for sharing.
Bluesday
~ Bronze ~

People helped 2

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »

Mine didn't drill me overly hard, but he did very much make me feel like I was in a criminal trial.
LittleCandle
~ Copper ~

People helped 1

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »

Mine didn't drill me overly hard, but he did very much make me feel like I was in a criminal trial.

I just had my hearing today and the ALJ made me feel like that as well.  It was so nerve-racking; he was asking questions non-stop.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 198826
  • Total Topics: 19478
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 72
Total: 73

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc