Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2017, 06:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  SSDI and SSI Disability Application Process
| |-+  Administrative Law Judge Hearings
| | |-+  Numb after hearing
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Numb after hearing  (Read 1401 times)
chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« on: January 09, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »

Today was my hearing. It started off rough. My husband took a personal day off work to take me and he was up at 6AM trying to get me up. I had told him I had my own alarm set but he apparently ignored that.

I had told him this weekend that my car needed gasoline and I had asked him to get that taken care of Saturday night and he did not, when we pulled up to the gas station this morning the pumps were down. Being I was already nervous this irritated me. We went to a second station 10 miles down the road and the pumps were working but were really slow.

We arrived at the hearing nearly 2 hours early because he is one of these guys who has to be everywhere 2 hours early. We waited in the waiting room which was packed with people and was very uncomfortable for me.

My lawyer came to me about 10 minutes before we were due to start and said that he was ready so we went into the hearing.

The hearing was standard of what I have read here, the judge introduced everyone and explained the order of which things would be done. My lawyer spoke first, then the judge asked me questions for nearly a hour. I could not get a read off him he was very straight face and business like. Then the vocational expert gave testimony. She stated 5 jobs that I have done in the past and said I could not do those any longer. Then she gave 3 jobs that I may could do but agreed I could not do them based on certain scenarios. Then she gave 1 job which she said I could do which was fold laundry but agreed even that would be limited.

Then the just asked me a few more questions, and my lawyer spoke again and it was over.

I did have to clarify a couple of things throughout the rapid fore questions. One was about some income I received in the form of a commission. We had given the year total and he came back to it and asked if that was monthly or weekly, to which we answered total for the year.

I had knots in my stomach. Then on the way out of there my car went to acting strange and we had a hose to come lose and antifreeze was dripping on my car engine causing it to spit and sputter. Thankfully we went to auto parts store and barrowed a tool and made it the hour home without any more problems. I think I need some rest now for a few days. That was exhausting mentally and physically and I just do not have a good feeling about today at all.
Age at Application: 37
Disability: ACM, PTSD, ADD, Carpal Tunnel, Occipital Neuralgia, spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease of cervical spine, migraine, chronic widespread pain.
Date Applied: June 7th, 2013
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied 10/08/2014
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Filed appeal 10/10/2014 hired lawyer
Date OTR requested: 10/23/2015
Date Hearing Notice Received: 11/08/2016
Hearing Date: 01/09/2017
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 01/23/2017 Appeal Under Review A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your decision. A Social Security Representative may contact you or your appointed representative directly if we need any additional documents or information.
Date Award Letter Received: 01/27/2017 FULLY FAVORABLE 2/11/2017 Letter on SSA account confirming approval
Date Back Pay Received: 02/14/2017 Happy Valentines day to me. 02/13/2017 SSA page showing one time deposit for 02/14
TraceyJuliet
~ Platinum ~

People helped 35

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:25 AM »

Thanks for checking in, Chiarigal. I was ready to bolt in the first few minutes. It was so intimidating. It's like having to bare your soul to strangers, but that's the price we pay to present all of the evidence that supports our request for disability. I was hungry and exhausted after my hearing. My dear friend who drive me tends to talk slot while driving. She talks with her hands and slows down, IT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS, LOL. And it was raining, very slippery, stupid drivers ... you get the idea. But when it was finally done, I felt relief for the first time in two years.

It's done, sweetie. Check the my social security web site, but don't expect anything soon. The process is slow, and you'll see messages that don't make sense. Not to worry - they're standard boiler plate messages and we all get them.

You can also check in with your attorney. But from the time I had my hearing it took less than one month to receive my decision letter in the mail. It took two weeks after that to get my award letter. Now I'm just waiting for my backpay to be deposited into my checking account. You're in the home stretch - hang on!

I survived the 80's, drug rehab, twins, and divorce. None of those things were as stressful as the disability process.
Name: Tracey
Age at Application: 51
Disability: F31.32 Moderate Bipolar 1 Disorder, PTSD, OCD, ADD, Anxiety
Date Applied: 9/22/2014
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied: 2/06/2015
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Reconsideration Denied 4/18/2015
Date OTR requested: Hired Attorney 5/13/2015
Date Hearing Notice Received: 9/2/2016
Hearing Date: 11/28/2016
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 12/23/2016 Fully Favorable, thank God!!!
Date Award Letter Received: 01/10/2017
chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:49:43 AM »

Congratulations Tracey. I know you must feel great relief. I hope to be able to say I was approved as well very soon. I can totally relate to how you felt about your friends driving. MY husband slows down and he also turns my radio off. Another friend of mine makes me nervous as she drives too fast and is all over the road. It is like I cannot win for losing when I ride with people.

My nerves were fried when I did finally arrive home. We went to eat which is something we do not normally do, but we got there right when they opened for lunch and we ate and were out of there pretty fast so it was not as bad as it could have been. For the first time in my life I actually did not enjoy my sushi. I was just too worked up to enjoy. I took some meds when I got home that normally put me to sleep but not this time, I guess the adrenalin was still pumping too hard. Eventually I was able to go to sleep for a couple of hours and I am back up now in the wee hours of the morning still just going over and over this stuff in my head. Hating that I said certain things, hating I couldn't get certain things out, hating that certain things were not mentioned in the hearing. I wish I could shut these thoughts off but that is not how I am wired and part of the reason I am in the position I am in with having to apply for SSDI.

I thought the wait to the hearing was hard, I can already tell the coming weeks are going to be very hard leading up to receiving a decision. It is the not knowing that will nag at me night and day. I did ask last week what the average time is out of that office to receive the decision and I was told 60 days is the average. I have heard of a few hearing before that time period and some who linger after that time period but more who hear within 6-8 weeks than the ones that hear before or after that time frame.

Sadly, that office I attended had a problem for a bit and did not have judges. So there was this longer than normal wait period to get in to see a ADJ. I was told ALL the judges there are new, so new that the lawyers had not had time to work with them enough to be able to read the judges well enough to know what they may be thinking.

Being in that office was just sad. There were so many people there waiting, people coming in for different reasons. People who had obvious disabilities, one lady sat with and talked to my husband while I was in my hearing. He was telling me her story, bless her, she has had a long fight and it was not near over yet either. There were people there in groups, that just blows my mind, I don't get the traveling in a group thing. There was one guy there in his PJ's and robe. I found myself overthinking what I was wearing, I had on leggings and a pullover linen dress over them, almost ever other person there was in camo and jeans. Way too much crosses your mind while you are waiting and then in the aftermath. Needless to say it was deeply stimulating from the waiting room to the hearing room. The check in process was even a source of stress as it was uncomfortable being patted down.
Disability: ACM, PTSD, ADD, Carpal Tunnel, Occipital Neuralgia, spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease of cervical spine, migraine, chronic widespread pain.
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 01/23/2017 Appeal Under Review A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your decision. A Social Security Representative may contact you or your appointed representative directly if we need any additional documents or information.
Date Award Letter Received: 01/27/2017 FULLY FAVORABLE 2/11/2017 Letter on SSA account confirming approval
Date Back Pay Received: 02/14/2017 Happy Valentines day to me. 02/13/2017 SSA page showing one time deposit for 02/14
newdawn
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 75

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »

I would have been a wreck if I had had to show up 2 hours early and sit in a waiting room filled with strangers for that long. What a nightmare. At least you made it through.
Name: Dawn
Age at Application: 31
Disability: Depression, anxiety
Date Applied: 11/2013
First Approval/Denial Date: 03/2014
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 11/2014
Hearing Date: 11/13/2015 (Friday the 13th!)
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 01/15/2016 Fully Favorable (rec'd 01/21)
Date Award Letter Received: 02/17/2016 (rec'd 02/20)
Date Back Pay Received: 02/13/2016 (paper check)
Additional Info: 02/09/16 mySSA account updated with approval info. 02/22 rec'd medicare card in mail. Hired lawyer after reconsideration denial. Requested an in-person hearing.
chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »

I would have been a wreck if I had had to show up 2 hours early and sit in a waiting room filled with strangers for that long. What a nightmare. At least you made it through.

It was tough. I really had to work hard to stare at the floor or the clock and zone out. I do not do well with leaving my house much less with being somewhere where I am forced to sit in a room of people.

You see ALL kinds of people in there which for me makes it even worse. You had truly crippled people who you knew deserved to be there and you said a prayer they were approved so the financial side of things would get a little better for them, you had some with obvious problems like talking to themselves and answering themselves, you knew they needed to be there too. But on the other hand you overheard some telling all their business and would hear a story that left you thinking things you really should not be thinking but you couldn't help but think and grumble to yourself just what you feel about it.

And then here you are, nervous for yourself, you know you have been waiting for years and you know that you are about to be bombarded with questions, and when you leave that building, you still will not have answers, not just that day, but for weeks to come.

And then for me, I swear my spouse is neurotic! He just would not leave me be and process the events, he bombarded me with questions, and woke up today asking the same questions I had already answered. I just looked at him and said... What is the answer to your question, he could answer me correctly, so I asked him WHY DID YOU ASK ME IF YOU KNEW THE ANSWER?
Before he left for work I told him, you know I could get denied just as well as approved, it is 50/50 right now. If I am denied we could be doing this for another couple of years or longer. I know he feels the financial stress and would like to have some help and pressure lifted off his shoulders of having to be the one who has to pay for it all. I know he would like for me to receive some backpay so we could erase some of the debt we have built during this process, I also know he would like for there to be a little bit of extra so we could do a little work to our home that has been neglected. But rehashing the same questions is not going to make it pass any faster. I almost think I should never have told him I had a hearing, and just made arrangements for someone else to take me and to remain silent about what we were doing that day then he would not know about it and not be asking me questions.
chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »

The first update in my ssa account has updated.

01/09/2017
Post-hearing Review

Your hearing was held. The Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) is reviewing your case, and we are developing for any additional evidence before the ALJ issues a decision. A Social Security Representative may contact you or your appointed representative if we need any additional documents or information.

chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:01 PM »

01/23/2017
Appeal Under Review

A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your decision. A Social Security Representative may contact you or your appointed representative directly if we need any additional documents or information.
TraceyJuliet
~ Platinum ~

People helped 35

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:11 AM »

01/23/2017
Appeal Under Review

A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your decision. A Social Security Representative may contact you or your appointed representative directly if we need any additional documents or information.

You should get your decision soon, chiarigal. When that popped up on my website, I called my attorney and they said they had just been given a decision. Not saying it WILL, but that's how mine went. Man, I hope you hear soon!

Tracey

I survived the 80's, drug rehab, twins, and divorce. None of those things were as stressful as the disability process.
Name: Tracey
Age at Application: 51
Disability: F31.32 Moderate Bipolar 1 Disorder, PTSD, OCD, ADD, Anxiety
Date Applied: 9/22/2014
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied: 2/06/2015
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Reconsideration Denied 4/18/2015
Date OTR requested: Hired Attorney 5/13/2015
Date Hearing Notice Received: 9/2/2016
Hearing Date: 11/28/2016
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 12/23/2016 Fully Favorable, thank God!!!
Date Award Letter Received: 01/10/2017
chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »

01/23/2017
Appeal Under Review

You should get your decision soon, chiarigal. When that popped up on my website, I called my attorney and they said they had just been given a decision. Not saying it WILL, but that's how mine went. Man, I hope you hear soon!

Tracey

I am thinking I will hear something soon as well. I know it was later in the day when it popped up. I usually log in every morning just to see if there are any changes on anything and there was a change where something once was but it was no longer there. Later in the day (in the evening) I was talking to a friend on the phone and she happened to ask me if I had heard anything and I was trying to explain that something was changed but it was more or less a deletion of some wording. She asked me what it was and I logged in to get a screenshot to show her so it would better explain what I was trying to say and there was the note that I posted here. And she told me that is a answer and that I will soon be getting my letter in the mail. I told her it had only been exactly 2 weeks since I had my hearing so I just blew it off as some word play. But then my husband called and someone he knows had asked him earlier in the day too if I had heard anything and I was reluctant to tell him of the change, but did so anyway. Then today he calls me and he said his friend explained that is a decision and for me to be checking my account over the next few days and things will start to make sense.

Naturally everyone is being super positive and saying... YOU GOT THIS.. YOU ARE GOING TO BE APPROVED... etc... But when you have been in this for 4 years it is hard to jump on that positive train. I just keep telling them to pray with me that this is a positive outcome. I know an approval would sure come in handy right about now as I like everyone else in this waiting game has bills that need to be paid.
Bonzai
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 384

Mean Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »

Naturally everyone is being super positive and saying... YOU GOT THIS.. YOU ARE GOING TO BE APPROVED... etc... But when you have been in this for 4 years it is hard to jump on that positive train. I just keep telling them to pray with me that this is a positive outcome. I know an approval would sure come in handy right about now as I like everyone else in this waiting game has bills that need to be paid.

Is a quick decision a good sign?  Maybe, maybe not.  We don't tell any member that their decision is a sure thing.  Based off what a member posts about their case, we only get their view and not the entirety of the case as seen by an ALJ.  Even if we did, we are biased towards our members.  We have seen some cases win, we thought would lose, and visa-versa.  The best advice that can be offered is to hope for the best, because it is a quick decision, but don't count your chicken before they hatch.

Best wishes....

"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White
Name: Bonzai
Age at Application: 47
Disability: BP 1, OSA, HTN, DM II, Arthritis Knee
Date Applied: Feb 08
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied Dec 08
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied Mar 09
Hearing Date: second hearing June 2012
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Approval - Aug 2012
Date Award Letter Received: Oct 2012
Date Back Pay Received: Late Sept 2012
Additional Info: remanded
chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 12:51:26 AM »

Is a quick decision a good sign?  Maybe, maybe not.  We don't tell any member that their decision is a sure thing.  Based off what a member posts about their case, we only get their view and not the entirety of the case as seen by an ALJ.  Even if we did, we are biased towards our members.  We have seen some cases win, we thought would lose, and visa-versa.  The best advice that can be offered is to hope for the best, because it is a quick decision, but don't count your chicken before they hatch.

Best wishes....

Perhaps you missed the entire message you quoted. I never stated that it was the peeps here that said anything to me, when in fact I was speaking of my real life peeps. In fact NO ONE HERE has said that a fast decision meant anything one way or the other.  And I never said I was counting my chickens before they hatched. If you will read back in this thread you will see that I have felt from day one that things did not go well. I do believe that it is natural for your real life peeps to rally around you in thinking that things are well and will go in your favor, as they have seen the real life personal grief that one that suffers while enduring this process.
bevg
~ Gold ~

People helped 3

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »

OMG your hubby sounds like mine .  Always early...mine then gets impatient having to wait. He asks the same questions over and over BUT mine never remembers. I have told him over and over that my hearing will not be before June but no guarantee. He keeps saying May and keeps asking for the date.  I finally told him yesterday to listen and make notes. Lol.  Oh well.  I guess I will keep him. February 22 will make 42 years married and we dated 4 years.  I was only 15 whee we started dating.....he was 17. He is a really good man and I feel lucky to have him.  There were best made when we married that it would not last a year.  Some folks lost money.  I really thought he was the only man that nuts though.

Bev
Name: Beverly G
Age at Application: 60
Disability: DDD, Herniation L4-5 and L5-S1 causing severe weakness and pain. Recent MI. Blind in one eye. Two disc hernations c spine (no symptoms from this) fusion one level c spine and lumbar disc surgery in distant past.
Date Applied: August 2015
First Approval/Denial Date: 12/03/2015 denied
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied 2/08/2016
Date Dependent Benefits Received: N/A
Additional Info: Denied on reconsideration
chiarigal
~ Silver ~

People helped 7

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »

LOL, yes your husband sounds a lot like mine. Mine drives me crazy with questions. And when he gets something on his mind it is all he talks about for days. He decided two weeks ago he was sick of messing with my sports car and I needed a different ride. He located a car online at a dealership and left MY NAME and MY NUMBER on their contact form and they blew my phone up with tons of calls about this car that I did NOT want. All I heard for days was every spec there was about this certain model of car and how he wants to buy it for me. I DONT WANT IT! Finally after two weeks of talking about this certain model of car and sending me a ton of video's of them he finally let it go. THANK GOD!

I know your household is stressed over your process, mine was that way. IT about drove us both crazy. But I promise you this, the day will come. Keep checking your online SSA account. Chances are the notice of a hearing date will appear there before you get the letter. I am not saying with certainty that is how it will go, but that is how it worked for me. It was on there two weeks before I got the actual letter from ODAR. When  you get that you will feel more relaxed in some ways and more nervous in other ways. The crazy train of emotions is a wild ride.

Just remember, nothing they (ssa) does is done fast. Cruise the messages here and be sure to read at the bottom of members messages to see their timelines. It is different for everyone. But it will help you be able to understand the process and be prepared in your mind for each step. I read here for the longest before I started posting and it helped me a LOT. I felt like I had a better understanding of how things worked and how much time each phase could take.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 9330
  • Latest: Mandrew
Stats
  • Total Posts: 197292
  • Total Topics: 19271
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc