Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2017, 06:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Congratulations you were approved!
| |-+  First Payment, Back Pay and Beyond
| | |-+  Congressman's Assistant is helping
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Congressman's Assistant is helping  (Read 750 times)
mominaz
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« on: February 14, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »

After getting District Court Decision for SS  to award my benefits on Sept 29, 2016, from 2007 Application!    I contacted my local Congressman in Dec 2016 to investigate when I will receive my 9 years of back pay!  This is what she received in response to her inquiry;
" Please be advised that the Court Case Unit is currently working on the case for processing."
I Really Really hope that means my $ will be coming soon.
DisabledVetUSAF
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

If lost ask for directions or continue to be lost!

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »

I am sure a more knowledgeable member will chime in...  I was just amazed about the nine years of back pay!!!

I thought they paid you back to the onset date minus 5 months?

They approved you with an onset date nine years ago?

I do not know everything, and if I did my brain would probably explode from intellectual overload.  That being said, I am always up for continued growth in relation to knowledge on many topics.  I believe knowledge is power, but such power is attained through exploration and in depth objectivity.
Name: Jon
Location: New Jersey (Not as bad as it sounds or is portrayed on T.V.)
Age at Application: 29
Disability: Bipolar I Disorder w/ Anxious Distress Severe, Obsessive Compulsivity, and PTSD
Date Applied: June 2009
First Approval/Denial Date: December 2010
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: n/a
Date OTR requested: n/a
Date OTR Approved/Sent to Hearing: n/a
Date Sent to VSU: n/a
Date VSU Approved/Sent to Hearing: n/a
Date Hearing Notice Received: n/a
Hearing Date: No Hearing
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: No ALJ
Date Award Letter Received: Jan 2011
Date Back Pay Received: Jan 2011
Date Dependent Benefits Received: First Payment Feb 2011
Additional Info: "Passed" on first try, attribute this to good doctors at the VA and an in depth Medical Record from Military Service as well as the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. I did hire an attorney, I probably did not need one but the peace of mind they offered was worth every cent paid -- Which I believe they deserved all of.
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 187

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »

I am sure a more knowledgeable member will chime in...  I was just amazed about the nine years of back pay!!!

I thought they paid you back to the onset date minus 5 months?

They approved you with an onset date nine years ago?

mominaz applied in 2007 & had multiple appeals including to Federal court.  The original onset date is likely in 2007 (plus the 5 month waiting period) so 9 years ago.
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
DisabledVetUSAF
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

Thanks Helper....

That is insane...  That people would have to wait so long...  I always hear 1-3 yrs average but not 9!

I hope SSA gives the money to mominaz

I hope the Congressional involvement is helpful.

I do not know everything, and if I did my brain would probably explode from intellectual overload.  That being said, I am always up for continued growth in relation to knowledge on many topics.  I believe knowledge is power, but such power is attained through exploration and in depth objectivity.
Disability: Bipolar I Disorder w/ Anxious Distress Severe, Obsessive Compulsivity, and PTSD
Additional Info: "Passed" on first try, attribute this to good doctors at the VA and an in depth Medical Record from Military Service as well as the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. I did hire an attorney, I probably did not need one but the peace of mind they offered was worth every cent paid -- Which I believe they deserved all of.
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 216

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »

Thanks Helper....

That is insane...  That people would have to wait so long...  I always hear 1-3 yrs average but not 9!

I hope SSA gives the money to mominaz

I hope the Congressional involvement is helpful.

It takes 3 years just to get the ALJ stage for most.
Bigfish5
~ Titanium ~

People helped 22

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »

It's crazy that mominaz had to fight for over 7 years and in the end gets approved and owed back pay, so all of the giving her the run around didn't save SSDI a cent.  The system desperately needs an overhaul.
Name: Dave
Age at Application: 41
Disability: Seizure disorder, brain tumor, kyphoscoliosis, multiple fractured vertebra, chronic pain
Date Applied: February 2014
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied May 2014
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied July 2014
Date Hearing Notice Received: 8/2015
Hearing Date: 10/4/2015
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 10/4/2015
Date Award Letter Received: 11/1/2015
Date Back Pay Received: 10/16/2015
Additional Info: Requested ALJ hearing July 2014- refused video hearing on advice from attorney
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 216

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »

It's crazy that mominaz had to fight for over 7 years and in the end gets approved and owed back pay, so all of the giving her the run around didn't save SSDI a cent.  The system desperately needs an overhaul.

It's not a perfect system, but not everyone should be approved. 
Bigfish5
~ Titanium ~

People helped 22

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:57:16 AM »

I didn't say that everyone should be approved, but obviously mominaz should have, since she was after 7 years.  I'm not sure what your point is unless you like the fact that people have to fight for over 7 years to get their benefits. and in the end it winds up costing the taxpayers even more than if her case had been approved in a timely manner.
Name: Dave
Age at Application: 41
Disability: Seizure disorder, brain tumor, kyphoscoliosis, multiple fractured vertebra, chronic pain
Date Applied: February 2014
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied May 2014
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied July 2014
Date Hearing Notice Received: 8/2015
Hearing Date: 10/4/2015
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 10/4/2015
Date Award Letter Received: 11/1/2015
Date Back Pay Received: 10/16/2015
Additional Info: Requested ALJ hearing July 2014- refused video hearing on advice from attorney
DisabledVetUSAF
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »

I agree... Imagine how many people wait that many years and do not even get to see their benefits.  It is WRONG that you have to go to a ALJ to get the decision overturned at the STATE level.  Furthermore, this is a FEDERAL program and the approval processes and allowance vary from DDS to DDS or examiner to examiner.

I think it should be cut and dry, not perfect, but it should not take someone 9 damn years AND than NOT pay them!!!!  NONSENSE!

I think we are all in agreement that the System does not work MOST of the time. 

I believe the system is NOT perfect, but if you get approved later on, basically on the SAME information what is wrong with the system?!?!?!?

I was LUCKY!

I was approved the first time in less than 5 months....

YES, I did have "priority" because of my military service linked to my disability but why did I not have to wait 9 years?

My records, treatment, and diagnosis were in order....

I think they say something like 70 percent are denied at initial levels.  I am thankful I was approved, but feel horrible for those who have to ride it out until the ALJ approves over the State level.

I think if a case is sent to a Judge it should punish the sending authority it there were CLEAR reasons to allow.

Could this be possible?

Maybe DDA and DDS would do a better job and not waste time approving....  If they don't meet the requirements than they should not be approved, but why allow at a higher level later on?

Idk... 

Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 216

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »

Those that are approved in the first two stages almost always meet a Listing or are approved via the GRID Rules. There are certain Listings that are rarely granted until the ALJ level because they require more resources to analysis the validity of a claim then is allowed until that point.

Until an expert personally reviews a claim, it is ridiculous to say that just because they were eventually approved they should have been approved from the start.  And I'm not making any claim about when mominaz should have been approved, I'm speaking in generalities.

Are there some things that would help speed up the process?  Yes and I could go into detail, but quite frankly odds are slim to none that the process will become streamlined for those with impairments that include largely subjective complaints, and those are the majority of claims that seem to drag on.  I'd rather focus my limited energy trying to
provide realistic help to some, rather than to vent about the system and things that are beyond my control to change.

BTW, my SSDI process was a mess and my approval was lengthy for a variety of reasons.  Some reasons were my fault, some were due to the type of impairments that I had and have, and how a combo of serious changes to my health complicated an already difficult application process.  Some reasons were my attorney's fault.  And some were caused by problems at my local SS office and another was caused by incorrect info being given from staff at the 800#. Now that I understand the process, I can understand how to avoid many of those pitfalls and I try to pass that info along.  

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:19:26 PM by Lit Love »
DisabledVetUSAF
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »

Thank You Lit Love,

You brought some clarity to the subject, at least for me.

I believe I met a listing and was approved that way, I did not have to GRID out.  I was one of the lucky ones I guess.

I am taking in what you said and can now understand the many reasons for a denial, which could than be overturned at an ALJ level due to Vocational testimonies or other reasons. 

I appreciate your input, and value your many contributions to this board.

Jon

Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 216

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »

Thank You Lit Love,

You brought some clarity to the subject, at least for me.

I believe I met a listing and was approved that way, I did not have to GRID out.  I was one of the lucky ones I guess.

I am taking in what you said and can now understand the many reasons for a denial, which could than be overturned at an ALJ level due to Vocational testimonies or other reasons. 

I appreciate your input, and value your many contributions to this board.

Jon

Thank you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 9337
  • Latest: Troop51
Stats
  • Total Posts: 197349
  • Total Topics: 19275
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 41
Total: 44

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc