Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2017, 12:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  SSDI and SSI Disability Application Process
| |-+  Administrative Law Judge Hearings
| | |-+  Question-from an acquaintance's case-have you ever heard of this choice?
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Question-from an acquaintance's case-have you ever heard of this choice?  (Read 501 times)
angrenae
SSDFacts VIP
~ Silver ~

People helped 4

« on: February 14, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

I have a friend of a friend who recently got a disability approval. I don't know whether it was SSDI or SSI or both.

I don't know a lot of details about his case, just that he had a heart issue, worked for a short while after that, then became unable to
work and filed for disability. He was over 55 when he applied.

At the ALJ hearing he was given a choice. He could choose the backpay or choose to have the monthly payments moving forward,
but not both. He chose the monthly payments moving forward.

This seems very odd to me. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Thank you,
Angie
Name: Angie
Age at Application: 42
Disability: Chronic migraines, Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, IBS, ADHD, Fibromyalgia, Schwannoma (brain tumor) removed 1991, Carotid Artery Dissection, Reynaud's, Horner's Syndrome, Vasovagal Syncope.
Date Applied: 5/18/2015
Date Hearing Notice Received: 11/2016
Hearing Date: 1/12/17
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Denied 3/28/2017
Additional Info: Date of Onset 10/26/2013, DLI 12/31/2014. This is my second hearing before an ALJ. My first one was denied for a 2012 application and the Judge was later removed from the bench because of her tendency to "cherry pick" information at cases.
angrenae
SSDFacts VIP
~ Silver ~

People helped 4

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »

He said it happened during the hearing. I don't know what the letter stated. Maybe you are right, maybe they changed the AOD because he went back to work for a while after his heart condition began, assuming that his original AOD was right when the heart condition began. It could very well be that he got confused. I still don't understand how changing his AOD would allow him no backpay but only payments moving forward however. Can you give me a timeline example of how this could happen? I am just curious more than anything. I don't know this man very well but according to my friend he didn't have a lawyer so it is possible he didn't know what to do.
Disability: Chronic migraines, Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, IBS, ADHD, Fibromyalgia, Schwannoma (brain tumor) removed 1991, Carotid Artery Dissection, Reynaud's, Horner's Syndrome, Vasovagal Syncope.
Additional Info: Date of Onset 10/26/2013, DLI 12/31/2014. This is my second hearing before an ALJ. My first one was denied for a 2012 application and the Judge was later removed from the bench because of her tendency to "cherry pick" information at cases.
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 198

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »

If someone applied with an onset date of January 2014 & they agree at the ALJ hearing to amend the onset date to August 2016, then they would get payments going forward but no backpay.
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
angrenae
SSDFacts VIP
~ Silver ~

People helped 4

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »

Oh now I understand thank you!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 198779
  • Total Topics: 19472
  • Online Today: 59
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 53
Total: 55

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc