Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2017, 07:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Letters from Social Security Disability
| |-+  Letters following Benefits
| | |-+  jAnTRYM344: Started working, got SSA-821-BK
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: jAnTRYM344: Started working, got SSA-821-BK  (Read 682 times)
jAnTRYM344
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« on: April 02, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »

Went out on disability on Dec 2014. Approved first pass with payments starting in May 2015. Felt a lot better from not working, moved due to my husband's job, and got a part-time job in Sep 2016. I found the job myself, did not use an agency, but I kept in touch with an agency from my old state. After it looked like I was going to stay in the job (8 weeks) I started mailing SSA a spreadsheet showing my earnings (biweekly) and my impairment work related expenses, though I am likely making more than SGA. Mailed to Baltimore, mailed to Alexandria, mailed to the original office. No response. Finally in March 2017, mailed to all three offices with a letter saying I had not gotten a response.

On March 31, 2017, got a SSA-821-BK from the office near me. But here's where I'm confused. The "date to describe my work activity since" on the form is March 29, 2017. It's been just a few days, so what do I report since the form is due in 15 days? Under date work started, do I list the start date (Sep 2016) or their date (March 29, 2017)?

I am about 5 months pregnant so may take leave of my part-time my job. I expect I may lose my SSDI benefits, but let's see. Health insurance is through husband, though this state has a Medicaid plain that is now secondary (none of my doctors are in their network) and I think Medicare Part A will be effective in another month (I declined Part B and I think my state provides Pard D for free).

I just want to make sure I'm answering the SSA-821-BK form correctly since I am confused about the dates.
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 212

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »

I would go ahead & fill the form out with your start work date of September 2016.  If you fill it out for just the past couple days, they are likely to end up sending you another SSA-821-BK to report on the earnings from September to March.

Even if you earned over SGA for the past 6 months, you get 9 Trial Work Months in a rolling 60 month period, where you can earn any amount & test your ability to work.   

However, they can also do a medical review to see if your condition has improved due to your work activity because you started working less than 24 months after approval.

You might find the following links helpful.

https://www.ssa.gov/redbook/ Red Book of Work Incentives 
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/twp.html Trial Work Periods
https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-1574.htm  special ruless for on disability for less than 24 months & the evaluation of work 
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 212

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »

Did you confirm that your state will allow you to decline Medicare & stay on Medicaid?  They may require you to go on Medicare & then the state will pay the Medicare Part B premium for you through one of the Medicare Savings programs.  See link below for programs.  Some states have higher income/asset limits.  You need to contact your Medicaid office.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/help-paying-costs/medicare-savings-program/medicare-savings-programs.html

Your husband's insurance would still be primary if his employer has at least 100 employees.  https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/how-medicare-works-with-other-insurance/who-pays-first/which-insurance-pays.html#collapse-2437
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
jAnTRYM344
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »

Thanks for this information. So since I am just passing 6 months of working now, it seems it may be harder to stop working, though I do have the 9 month period. I was mainly able to work because I only work 23 hours a week, and I got a wheelchair van. Because the cost of living is higher, my actual salary is close to what I was making full time before I went out on disability. I am quite tired by Thursday (I don't work Fridays). I definitely do not have the ability to work full-time.

On the Medicare, I got lots of information from my state on paying Part D, but not Part B. We do not believe we'd qualify for any assistance program based on family income/assets. I expect my husband's insurance to pay most everything, Medicare to pay nothing (since we don't have Part B), Medicaid to pay nothing (since our doctors are not in their network), and we'll pay the copays, coinsurance, and deductibles.

I will go ahead and fill out that form from September 2016 onwards. Thank you all for your help.
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 212

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »

Thanks for this information. So since I am just passing 6 months of working now, it seems it may be harder to stop working, though I do have the 9 month period. I was mainly able to work because I only work 23 hours a week, and I got a wheelchair van. Because the cost of living is higher, my actual salary is close to what I was making full time before I went out on disability. I am quite tired by Thursday (I don't work Fridays). I definitely do not have the ability to work full-time.

On the Medicare, I got lots of information from my state on paying Part D, but not Part B. We do not believe we'd qualify for any assistance program based on family income/assets. I expect my husband's insurance to pay most everything, Medicare to pay nothing (since we don't have Part B), Medicaid to pay nothing (since our doctors are not in their network), and we'll pay the copays, coinsurance, and deductibles.

I will go ahead and fill out that form from September 2016 onwards. Thank you all for your help.

Often, if an insurance is secondary, they pay the claim without regard to whether the physician is in network - as long as they are in the primary insurance network.  So, you should confirm.

SSA does not necessarily care if you are working full-time or part-time but whether that job pays SGA or not.  If you are unable to work full-time but find a job working part-time & making SGA, you don't meet the SSA definition of unable to work Substantial Gainful Activity.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:35:46 PM by Helper »
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 200522
  • Total Topics: 19656
  • Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 59
Total: 61

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc