Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2017, 03:10:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Letters from Social Security Disability
| |-+  Initial Filing Letters
| | |-+  jedmonston Compassionate Allowance
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: jedmonston Compassionate Allowance  (Read 1046 times)
Edmo1961
~ Silver ~

People helped 2

Monkey Strong

« on: April 13, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »

Hello...I'm 55 and was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzhiemer's Disease w/Depression (EOAD/D), PTSD and Migraines in Feb 2017 and filed for SSDI around 21 March 17.  In the beginning I was USAF federal civilian as a WS-14 Flight Chief from July 2004 to Oct 2015 upon which I resigned due to memory issues, confusion, making poor management decisions, etc.  During that time period I struggled and my wife noticed and wondered how I was doing my job.  I had good AF military managers working for me so I didn't have to do much but be the boss.  But it just got too hectic.  I then took off 6 months to rest/relax and then decided to do something less stressful on the brain.  So I worked as a building maintenance guy but had memory and confusion issues and was basically fired after 90 days.  Then I tried operating heavy equipment and that only lasted 7 days!  Then I got a job as a parts manager but just couldn't hang and struggled mentally and couldn't deal with stupid customers and working unprofessional employees so they fired me at the 6 month mark. That was enough embarrassment for me so I decided to get checked out from the VA and that's when I was diagnosed with EOAD/D, PTSD, & Migraines.  I already receive 80% VA disability due to service connected disabilities upon retiring from the USAF after 24 1/2 yrs of service in 2004.  So, I stopped working on 5 Dec 2016.  I haven't worked since 2017 and don't plan too.  The VA Doc wrote a letter saying I was unemployable with Alzhiemer's.  Since Early Onset Alzhiemer's falls within the Compassionate Allowance program, should I expect a quick decision?  I received an SSA-821-BK form today to fill out?  I submitted an onset date of my disability of Jan 2015 since that was when my EOAD really started affecting me and I started preliminary procedures contemplating resigning.  The VA Doc says I have 4-6 yrs or maybe 8 yrs if I'm lucky before I cash it in. But she did say it's just dependent on the individual.  So I'm confused why I would receive this form (SSA-821-BK) when it's obvious I have a terminal disease?  Is it to help establish my disability onset date?  I officially stopped working on 5 Dec 2016.  If anyone can give this a shot I would appreciate it...

edmo1961
Name: edmo1961
Age at Application: 55
Disability: Early Onset Alzhiemer's, PTSD, Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Osteoarthritis in neck, lumbar, wrists, Carpal Tunnel both hands, Tinnitus, Hypertension, Depression, C-5, C-6, C-7 fusion, Torn Pectoral
Date Applied: 13 Mar 2017
First Approval/Denial Date: Approved 27 June 2017
Date Back Pay Received: No back pay - may appeal
Additional Info: My HO rep said I would get 14 mo back pay? I didn't get anything...
gardenia
~ Titanium ~

People helped 31

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:59:43 AM »

If you look under the explanation for the compassionate allowance, it says the following (see below), including an activities of daily living report filled out by a relative or caregiver (from this link https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0423022385). So have your wife fill out it out and as long as you meet all the requirements of the listing, you should be approved quickly.

SUGGESTED PROGRAMMATIC ASSESSMENT*

Suggested MER for Evaluation:

- Clinical information documenting a progressive dementia is critical and required for disability evaluation of early-onset AD. The preferable source of this information is the clinical records from the treating primary physician, neurologist, or psychiatrist.

- Activities of daily living report or a similar report completed by relative or caregiver.

- Documentation of dementia by standardized testing such as the Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR) scale with a score of = 1, MMSE with a score of = 24, or equivalent test is helpful but not required.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:11:31 AM by chocolate »
Edmo1961
~ Silver ~

People helped 2

Monkey Strong

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »

Thanks Chocolate.  We filled out the Adult Activity Report a few weeks ago.  My MMSE score was a 23.  They put me on meds to help with memory and it sure gives me crazy dreams...very vivid but cool.  Hopefully they'll approve me soon since I'm running out of savings.  I still get an AF retirement and 80% VA disability pay which I'm fortunate since most folks aren't receiving anything while waiting on their SSDI decision.  When I turn 56 in June, I'll start getting my civil service retirement. Once I do get approved for SSDI, we'll be doing great but unfortunately it's not how I wanted to finally retire!

Any reason why they asked me to fill out the SSA-821-BK form?  Just curious?       

edmo1961
Disability: Early Onset Alzhiemer's, PTSD, Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Osteoarthritis in neck, lumbar, wrists, Carpal Tunnel both hands, Tinnitus, Hypertension, Depression, C-5, C-6, C-7 fusion, Torn Pectoral
Additional Info: My HO rep said I would get 14 mo back pay? I didn't get anything...
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 268

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »

It's a standard form.  The info you provide will be used to determine your Established Onset Date.  The Alleged Onset Date you list was incorrect, but they'll figure it out.
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 219

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »

It's a standard form.  The info you provide will be used to determine your Established Onset Date.  The Alleged Onset Date you list was incorrect, but they'll figure it out.

Your alleged onset date of January 2015 but continued work through December 2016 will definitely explain the form.  They will likely use October 2015 as your onset date (when you stopped working originally) & then count your various 2016 work attempts as Unsuccessful Work Attempts since they all lasted less than 6 months. https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0411010145  Unsuccessful Work  Attempts 
https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/subsidies.htm Subsidy/Special conditions
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
gardenia
~ Titanium ~

People helped 31

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »

Sorry, I mixed up the Work Activity Report with the ADL report.
Edmo1961
~ Silver ~

People helped 2

Monkey Strong

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »

Chocolate; I want to thank you for putting me at ease.  I was thinking they were trying to see if maybe I made too much money and maybe trying to disqualify me?  But thanks to you I now realize I was way off base as usual.  If I have anymore questions, I'll definitely be back on here bugging you!  Thanks.

edmo1961
grove800
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 33

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 05:06:25 AM »

Hello and welcome we are all here to help.  Any more questions just ask.  Also like to add thank you for your service.

😊
Name: Vicki
Age at Application: 59. Age now 62
Disability: Hypogammagobulimannenia , aggressive arthritis spine, 4 level cervical fusion, chronic pain, DDD,COPD,
Date Applied: 7/2013
First Approval/Denial Date: 11/2013
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 5/2014
Date OTR requested: 6/2014
Hearing Date: January 19, 2016
Date Award Letter Received: February 3, 2016. per benefit letter on my SS website
Date Back Pay Received: February 4, 2016 direct deposit
Additional Info: fully favorable letter by mail Feb 6, 2016. Medicare started Dec 2015
Edmo1961
~ Silver ~

People helped 2

Monkey Strong

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »

Thank you Groove800 for thanking me for my service!  Your providing a great service to us vets who are new to the SSA side of the house.  I know the VA side fairly well but too bad both gov't programs can't be more similar?  In a way they are but the VA is way more picky from what I've discovered.  I'm working my package to have my 80% VA disability bumped up to 100% as well.  At least it keeps my brain active dealing with all this complicated mess!  Thanks again!   

edmo1961
Edmo1961
~ Silver ~

People helped 2

Monkey Strong

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »

Well...Friday I received a work history report SSA-3369-BK which is now confusing me.  According to the 5 steps SSA uses to establish you have a disability, Step 3 says, "if the disability is listed on the compassionate Allowance Listing, it's automatically approved to speed up the process and don't proceed to Step 4.  So...why in the heck did I receive this 3369 form?  From what I've learned, it's used to see if your past skills, training and experience could cross over to something you can do for Substantial Gainful Employment today?  Since my disability (Early Onset Alzhiemer's) is on the compassionate list, This form should be non-applicable to me.  This just doesn't make any sense to me?  Was this form just system generated?  Thanks.

edmo1961
gardenia
~ Titanium ~

People helped 31

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 03:05:19 AM »

Lit Love mentioned it's a standard form. Even though it's on the compassionate allowances list, everything still has to be checked to make sure you meet all the qualifications to be approved under that designation.
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 219

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 06:27:30 AM »

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0423022385  POMS for Early onset Alzheimer's 

You can meet listing 12.02 or 11.17, per the POMS above. 
https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/12.00-MentalDisorders-Adult.htm#12_02

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/11.00-Neurological-Adult.htm#11_17

I am wondering if your medical records were not received or something in your records is not complete enough to meet the compassionate allowance requirements.
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:31:00 AM by Helper »
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 10057
  • Latest: Lan
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201419
  • Total Topics: 19738
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 77
Total: 82

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc