Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 11:11:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Helpful SSDI and SSI Topics
| |-+  Senator / Congressional Interventions
| | |-+  Payment center misconduct
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Payment center misconduct  (Read 1180 times)
shug1962
~ Copper ~

People helped 2

« on: April 20, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »

Main03
I was approved March 20, 2017at ALJ level with attorney
Still haven't received back pay
Received notice of award on April 14, 2017
EOD:09-23-12 upon reading letter noted on page 3 amount of past due benefits for March 2013 thru March 2017
Then on page 8 which is the payment summary noted past due benefits for that period was zero dollars
I called SSA right away and they told me they would send out a new award letter with the correct info
Long story short: a payment authorizer along with 4 other people were indicted for stealing 1.9 million dollars from this center
So after receiving this incorrect award letter I notified my local congresswoman to intervene on my behalf
Seemed fishy to me!
Any thoughts?
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 258

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »

They haven't done the calculations to give an exact amount yet or had a chance to see if you have any offsets.  Sending out the letter with an amount of zero is not unusual whatsoever.  When you're owed a substantial amount it can take 60-90 days, and sometimes even longer.
shug1962
~ Copper ~

People helped 2

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »

I called the payment center in my area, they won't talk to me unless I am a representative. I found a number online and called it but it was a payment center in Ohio but the lady was kind enough to pull up my file and said the holdup was my local office hadn't notified the payment center that I had been denied SSI. I was denied SSI on the 29th of March. So what's the holdup?
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 212

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »

I called the payment center in my area, they won't talk to me unless I am a representative. I found a number online and called it but it was a payment center in Ohio but the lady was kind enough to pull up my file and said the holdup was my local office hadn't notified the payment center that I had been denied SSI. I was denied SSI on the 29th of March. So what's the holdup?

It is a process for all the payment processing.  You need to expect that it will be 90 days or more before you get your backpay.  Because you are due multiple years of backpay, it will likely require 3 signatures before being released - which means it takes even longer.

SSA offices are often understaffed.  Until last week, there was a Federal government hiring freeze.  Even with the freeze lifted, getting hired for a government job can take months so I would not expect new people to start before the summer & they still need basic orientation/training on SSA's systems.

Therefore, you need to be patient.  If you are in need of funds immediately, several members have gotten personal loans from banks with their award letters while waiting for their backpay. 
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
shug1962
~ Copper ~

People helped 2

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:36:41 PM »

No offense but I am twice your age and I've been in the game much longer.
These offices are not under staffed,
These people come to work with their lunch money in one hand and their union card in the other. If they weren't so busy on their computers trying to figure out how to steal from the government, they could do their job. Sorry I don't have the patience of JOB.
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 258

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »

You asked for opinions.  There is no conspiracy.  You overreacted to a routine form letter.

Applying for SSI, even if you are later denied, does create more work and slow down the process.  It's my understanding SS staff are still dealing with outdated, walled off software systems, which can mean that on top of the delays that it causes, staff can't always access case information.

A few employees committed fraud.  It's ridiculous to claim that it is widespread problem.  Just because some claimants have committed fraud applying for SSDI or SSI, should it be assumed that everyone that applies is also committing fraud? 

The payment processing center is in Baltimore, MD and not OH.  Baltimore is not staffed to take calls from claimants.  Frankly, making calls before allowing them 90 days to process your benefits just creates more unnecessary work and slows the system further.

grove800
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 32

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 04:14:51 AM »

Forum13  Lit Love

😊
Name: Vicki
Age at Application: 59. Age now 62
Disability: Hypogammagobulimannenia , aggressive arthritis spine, 4 level cervical fusion, chronic pain, DDD,COPD,
Date Applied: 7/2013
First Approval/Denial Date: 11/2013
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 5/2014
Date OTR requested: 6/2014
Hearing Date: January 19, 2016
Date Award Letter Received: February 3, 2016. per benefit letter on my SS website
Date Back Pay Received: February 4, 2016 direct deposit
Additional Info: fully favorable letter by mail Feb 6, 2016. Medicare started Dec 2015
shug1962
~ Copper ~

People helped 2

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:51 AM »

I see you waited almost as long as I did to get approved, but you got your back pay in less than a month. So it's easy to tell me to be patient and wait.
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 258

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »

I see you waited almost as long as I did to get approved, but you got your back pay in less than a month. So it's easy to tell me to be patient and wait.

I don't know who you're responding to, but it took me a year to receive my backpay when I was awarded a Fully Favorable decision.  I had a very complex case which I won't rehash here.

If a person has a Dire Need and they truly have a situation like imminent eviction, they should receive first priority.  But for those that just want to jump the line because they're impatient, you do so at the expense of others whose need might be as great as yours or greater.  

Again, 60-90 days is not unusual whatsoever to receive a large amount of backpay.  It's best to withdraw a SSI application right away if a claimant knows that their assets or income make them ineligible, because it will delay things and is another example of creating more unnecessary work.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:31:36 AM by newdawn »
Bonzai
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 387

Mean Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »

shug1962,

I see that the staff is being polite in their responses to you, while you are being rude to them.  Being twice someone's age does not give you license to treat that person with disrespect.

I am older than you if the 1962 in your member name indicates your birth year, so I don't mind in the least bit in taking you to task for your treatment of anyone on SSDFacts.  The staff, including myself, are all strictly volunteers.  We are NOT employees of the Social Security Administration and have no control over how fast back pay is processed.

I, and many others, have posted that the longest wait of all encountered during the Social Security Disability Process, is the wait for payment after approval.  Waiting a mere two months so far is nothing compared to the wait others have had to suffer.  However, they eventually did receive their back pay, as you will.

If you want someone to take your frustrations out on, then do it elsewhere.  I have no problem in banning abusive members from the site, and you are close.

"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White
Name: Bonzai
Age at Application: 47
Disability: BP 1, OSA, HTN, DM II, Arthritis Knee
Date Applied: Feb 08
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied Dec 08
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied Mar 09
Hearing Date: second hearing June 2012
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Approval - Aug 2012
Date Award Letter Received: Oct 2012
Date Back Pay Received: Late Sept 2012
Additional Info: remanded
Just Me
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 600

Nice Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »

shug1962, I am 63. You may not like the information you have been given here or agree with it, but it is correct.

SSA Offices are understaffed. SSA Employees are honest, hard working, dedicated, caring people that are overworked and underpaid. Each caseworker has countless cases. Some of these cases are situations where the beneficiaries have no income or resources and have been served with an eviction notice or cutoff for utilities. You are fortunate to not be in a situation like this. Caseworkers have many responsibilities in the process. They are not just sitting there doing only one thing.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.
Age at Application: 50
Disability: DDD, nerve damage upper & lower extremities, RA
Date Applied: First Applied Feb 2002, Denied May 2003. Applied again Oct 2003, Approved June 2004
shug1962
~ Copper ~

People helped 2

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »

If I've offended anyone on this forum I do apologize, I just don't think it's fair for anyone to keep telling me it's a process so you just have to wait without taking time to explain this "process" to me. I went to my local office today and was fortunate enough to get someone to sit down with me and actually explain the entire process of how payment processing works.  Usually when I go in or call they tell me I just have to wait, it's a process. When I first got my fully favorable letter I went in to the office to update my info I stood in line an hour and half only to be turned away because they said they were short staffed and there was no one wait on me. Told me to come back tomorrow because they had a lot of call-ins. Now I worked as a nurse for over 30 years and we frequently had a high volume of call-ins especially on payday and holidays but I never once told a patient I couldn't take care of them because we were short staffed; we did what we had to do to accommodate our patients. I just feel these federal government workers are not held accountable for their actions and not doing their job.
Bonzai
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 387

Mean Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »

Thank you for your apology.  I don't mind it when members or staff disagree on an issue, but it has to be done in a civil manner.  Your initial post asked for thoughts on your situation, not for an explanation of how the payment process works; which we could have explained in detail.  We know all too well the Social Security Administration's payment process, and many of us had to undergo lengthy waits for payment.

Grouping all Federal workers together and making a statement that they are not held accountable and not doing their jobs is stereotyping and incorrect.  I used to be a Federal employee, and none of my co-workers would have ever said I didn't do my job, even though at the end, my struggles to maintain employment were killing me.  I was not the only one who worked long hours, and even worked off the clock.  I am not saying that there are not Federal employees who coast, but overall, most of the people I worked with were highly conscientious.  I worked in a hospital, and we knew which doctors, nurses, and other staff did not provide quality care.  Those people did not last long, as they were made uncomfortable.

You have stated that the "process" was explained to you, but I doubt if the person explaining the payment process informed you of the case load quotas that Social Security employees must meet.  I believe the more complex payment cases are set aside to be handled once the quota has been met by processing the simple payment cases first.  We have seen issues like whether or not SSI computations have to be done, family benefits, and attorney fee petitions slow the payment process down.

"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White
Name: Bonzai
Age at Application: 47
Disability: BP 1, OSA, HTN, DM II, Arthritis Knee
Date Applied: Feb 08
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied Dec 08
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied Mar 09
Hearing Date: second hearing June 2012
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Approval - Aug 2012
Date Award Letter Received: Oct 2012
Date Back Pay Received: Late Sept 2012
Additional Info: remanded
2foofy4u
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »

You're lucky!  I was approved on March 15th 2017 and still haven't received my award letter, let alone any form of payment. I was told it could take upto 90 days to receive the letter and then 30-60 days after that to see any payment, so I figure, if I see anything before August I'm lucky.
Name: Susan
Age at Application: 48
Disability: Dysautonomia, Tachycardia
Date Applied: 4/15/15
First Approval/Denial Date: Denial 08/20/15
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denial 12/14/15
Date Hearing Notice Received: 1/5/17
Hearing Date: 3/15/17
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Bench Approval 3/15/17 Approval Letter 6/2/17
shug1962
~ Copper ~

People helped 2

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »

Bonzai,
Yes all the quota info and all was explained to me, I wasn't enthusiastic about it but I find it easier to deal with at this point.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 9904
  • Latest: mudjazz
Stats
  • Total Posts: 200482
  • Total Topics: 19650
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 68
Total: 71

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc