Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2017, 03:09:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Welcome to the Forum!
| |-+  PLEASE STOP BY HERE FIRST AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF.
| | |-+  You don't look disabled
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: You don't look disabled  (Read 1175 times)
Stillashamed
~ Copper ~

People helped 1

« on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »

Hello, everyone I just found this gem yesterday and have already found it to be an invaluable resource.
I am looking forward to interacting---sharing what I know and learning from you all.
grove800
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 33

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 04:16:44 AM »

Welcome05 Welcome02

😊
Name: Vicki
Age at Application: 59. Age now 62
Disability: Hypogammagobulimannenia , aggressive arthritis spine, 4 level cervical fusion, chronic pain, DDD,COPD,
Date Applied: 7/2013
First Approval/Denial Date: 11/2013
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 5/2014
Date OTR requested: 6/2014
Hearing Date: January 19, 2016
Date Award Letter Received: February 3, 2016. per benefit letter on my SS website
Date Back Pay Received: February 4, 2016 direct deposit
Additional Info: fully favorable letter by mail Feb 6, 2016. Medicare started Dec 2015
Stillashamed
~ Copper ~

People helped 1

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 04:02:24 PM »

Well I have an very long story but i will make it a short story, I have several nonvisible disabilities schizoaffective bipolar type, HIV, HBP, Full Hip Replacement, stenosis.  During my first process through the SSDI system I was made to feel ashamed by the ALJ who sent this awful letter denying me benefits back in 2010.  Understandably, I waited several years and reapplied, I had tried to work at several unsuccessful attempts.  Fortunately, I was able to visit my medical professionals on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, I had anj ALJ hearing early April 2017 and learned that this ALJ could use anything from my previous file with this case.  I mean my first hearing was terrible where I had a anxiety attack while I was in the face to face hearing.  Fortunately, I believe my hearing early this year was much successful as far as interacting with the ALJ.  I am still awaiting a decision.
Bonzai
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 387

Mean Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:43:18 PM »

I have a hyper-manic Bipolar Disorder.  I don't look disabled one bit, and no one would ever guess I am while I am out and about.  But those are my good days.  On my bad days, I don't go anywhere.  I mainly stay in my room and bounce off walls.  Thankfully, since January, I am on a new medication that I don't bounce off the walls as much as I used to, but I still find that I teeter from hyper into manic enough that I know I cannot work traditional employment.  On the opposite side, the new medication I am on helps me to sleep somewhat regularly (more than 4 hours), but I get 'sleep attacks' during the day and I seriously have to go lay down for a nap.

I, too, struggled to work for many years; even after my doctors had told me working was killing me.  My last year, I spent more time in mental health care than at work; which finally convinced me that my Bipolar Disorder had progressed to the point I was disabled.  I knew I was disabled, but I didn't want to accept it.  My condition was undiagnosed for many years, I just thought I was crazy.  Then I was diagnosed and successfully treated for seven years, until the medication I was taking stopped working overnight, and my Bipolar Disorder came roaring back worse than ever.

"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White
Name: Bonzai
Age at Application: 47
Disability: BP 1, OSA, HTN, DM II, Arthritis Knee
Date Applied: Feb 08
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied Dec 08
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied Mar 09
Hearing Date: second hearing June 2012
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Approval - Aug 2012
Date Award Letter Received: Oct 2012
Date Back Pay Received: Late Sept 2012
Additional Info: remanded
Jmula423
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »

My husband just received fully favorable decision for SSDI after waiting lmost 2 years. He has carried a diagnosis of schizophrenia, paranoid, anxiety and depression for over 25 years. I'm so proud of my husband for going to work to provide for our family until 2015 when he just couldn't work anymore. To look at him, he doesn't look disabled, but he has good days and bad days as well. My question is, legally, does he have to provide his diagnosis when he states that he is on disability?
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 219

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 06:53:16 AM »

My husband just received fully favorable decision for SSDI after waiting lmost 2 years. He has carried a diagnosis of schizophrenia, paranoid, anxiety and depression for over 25 years. I'm so proud of my husband for going to work to provide for our family until 2015 when he just couldn't work anymore. To look at him, he doesn't look disabled, but he has good days and bad days as well. My question is, legally, does he have to provide his diagnosis when he states that he is on disability?

Who is he telling he is on disability?  Whether he needs to provide the diagnosis may vary depend on why they need to know he is on disability.

For example, a family member or friend does not need to be told he is on disability (unless he wants to share with them), let alone the reason.

But if he is applying for additional benefits from another program based on him being disabled, he may need to disclose the reason depending on if the program is only for mental health or physical health or only a specific diagnosis.
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
DisabledInWI
SSDFacts VIP
~ Platinum ~

People helped 21

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »

Hope it's okay to share this quick story here since it's semi-related to the topic. I went off on someone on Facebook yesterday (they've been unfriended) who posted negative comments about someone using an EBT card who this person felt didn't need it. Much like "you don't look disabled," people can make similar misjudgments that someone doesn't look like they need food stamps. I told this person that they don't know what that person's financial situation is at that moment and trying to judge someone without any facts behind that judgment is wrong. In this particular case this person didn't feel the person she was complaining about didn't need food stamps because they were wearing a nice pair of shoes!
Age at Application: 49 (Current age 54)
Disability: Patellofemoral osteoarthritis, both knees
Date Applied: April 2012
First Approval/Denial Date: Approved July 2012
Date Award Letter Received: August 2012
waiting so long
~ Silver ~

People helped 9

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 12:04:52 PM »

jmula congratulation on your win. its finally over. good for you
Age at Application: 59
Disability: lumbar c1 c2 carpel tunnel cupa tunnel pvd
Date Applied: 4/23/2015
Hearing Date: 3/29/2017
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 5/24/2017
Date Back Pay Received: 7/25/2017
Stillashamed
~ Copper ~

People helped 1

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »

Oh my, I am homeless and we get donated nice shoes and clothing every once in awhile.

MY original thought to this is that the ALJ I had in 2010 just kept "attacking" me and I didn't think her
hypotheticals were appropriate.  She wrote so many mistruths in my summary.  I was accompanied by a
non attorney person from the Long Term Disability group that sent me.
What I am saying is that I do hope that the new ALJ dont look at me as the 2010 ALJ did.
Jmula423
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »

Thank you DisabledinWI.....it felt like FOREVER!

I believe he was pre registering for a medical procedure (endoscopy) on the phone and they asked him where he was employed and he told him that he was disabled. They asked him what his disability was and he asked me what to say and I really didn't know how to answer that......I just said mental health.....😕😕😕
Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 219

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »

Thank you DisabledinWI.....it felt like FOREVER!

I believe he was pre registering for a medical procedure (endoscopy) on the phone and they asked him where he was employed and he told him that he was disabled. They asked him what his disability was and he asked me what to say and I really didn't know how to answer that......I just said mental health.....😕😕😕

In that case, saying mental health was enough info.  They likely needed to know the type of disability to know if any additional accommodations might be necessary.  For example, if someone required a wheelchair & they needed extra staff or equipment to lift him.
Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
Salvette
SSDFacts VIP
~ Platinum ~

People helped 42

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »

Many people have"invisible" illness, disability and injury. Currently I have been on ssdi for 7 years now (approved back to 2008 though). My primary disability was meeting a listing for epilepsy, and secondary was fibromyalgia.  Other than my husband I really haven't sareed it and told people at all with the exception of a few close friends, and most of my dr of course.  I don't like to label myself as "disabled" because if they haven't experienced it, they just can't relate, even my husband!  but more so, it's no one's business why I don't work. They don't pay my bills and never have...right now I'm working on getting some opinions on neck surgery (this is a huge part of my chronic pain), not something I was approved in, but one more thing that has held me down with chronic pain...I don't "look" disabled, but appearances are not much of importance in this...God forbid if you are having a decent day and do your hair nice and put regular clothes on vs a quick ponytail and sweats...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 10057
  • Latest: Lan
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201419
  • Total Topics: 19738
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 80
Total: 85

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc