Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2017, 11:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Helpful SSDI and SSI Topics
| |-+  Senator / Congressional Interventions
| | |-+  Is Senator really checking?
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Is Senator really checking?  (Read 1561 times)
jsm
~ Platinum ~

People helped 278

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »

Update:  Still no decision.  Hearing was April 20.  It's now been 91 days.  I got another (form) letter from Sen. Gosar's office, and attached was SSA response to his request for information.  It said that my hearing was waiting to be scheduled.....um....had hearing in April! 

Just proves to me that Sen. Gosar hasn't even looked at my case.

What do I want?  I want them to make a decision.  I wanted Gosar to find out exactly why it has taken so long for me to go through this whole ordeal?  Would that have been too much to ask?  I guess so.

Sad

And just what would you do with that information, why it has taken so long for your specific case? How does it help you? Or is what you really want (and I would want it too as well as everyone waiting for a decision) is for your case to be moved to the head of the line and be given priority handling?

You probably won't believe this, but the staff of SSA and ODAR and the PC would be happy to get your case finished and off of their to do list. And because there are timeliness goals, the individual stats of each employee are used in their performance reviews. So the individual employee is motivated to move your case along. Your case and all the other cases on their pending list.

If you think your Senator should be personally overseeing the minutia of case processing for you, I hate to say this in a post because it may come across wrong, you are just not that special. And that is not why we elect Senators. Their main job is to look at the big picture and pass legislation that addresses broad problems that affect all citizens. Although they can be helpful for individual cases that have fallen between the cracks or have hit a bureaucratic roadblock.  They also create the laws that lead to the regulations that lead to hiring government employees who are given the job of making decisions on individual cases. The Senator does not have either the authority or the knowledge to make the legally defensible decision on your case.

If your Senator really wants SSA to make faster decisions, he would vote to give more funding for more staff. Of course, there has to be money in the budget to do it which means something else gets cut.

I do not know the history of your specific claim, but waiting 90, 120 or 180 days for ODAR to finish is not that unusual. In order for to determine an average processing of 60 days, there has to be cases that are quicker and cases that are slower.

I also realize that this dispassionate observation is unlikely to make you feel better, but I am doing it anyway.
SteelSpine
~ Silver ~

People helped 0

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 06:00:30 AM »

Ultimately the manager at my local branch was the person that resolved things both times.  I'm aware that they have changed the supervisor to supervisor rules recently, that might complicate things, but in your case, you probably need  to be dealing with a manager at this point.

Yeah, I think you're right..  I'm going to call my local SSA office today and request to speak to a manager.  Not really sure how to ask them to call the manager at the processing center since there isn't really a procedure for it anymore, but I guess I'll just tell him/her my story and ask them for their help.

When I called my local office in May, I was told it would be no more than 60 days until I finally got my back pay.  Today is day 61 since that conversation took place.  I'm beyond upset at this point.
Age at Application: 33
Disability: Severe Disc Herniation at L4-L5 and L5-S1, requiring three spinal surgeries, dozens of epidural injections, hundreds of hours of physical therapy, countless amounts of narcotic painkillers in the form of pills and patches, and ultimately a spinal fusion. Also suffering from severe anxiety and social anxiety, most of which I attribute to be another side effect of having such a debilitating injury at such a young age.
Date Applied: 07/2013
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied 10/2013
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied 04/2014
Date Hearing Notice Received: 02/2016
Hearing Date: 06/2016
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Approved 10/2016
Date Award Letter Received: 01/2017
Date Back Pay Received: 08/2017
Kafkasrecruit
~ Platinum ~

People helped 14

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:30 PM »

So, 120 days or even 9 months to see back pay or benefits? Both?
That's essentially approving benefits and never paying them? Is there such a thing as Dire Need after hearing and approval? That long as wait... Not possible for done of us
Name: Kafkasrecruit
Age at Application: 50, 53
Disability: Arthrodesis (Fusion L2-S1 in 2005 and 2016); post-laminectomy syndrome; spinal canal and foraminal stenoses w/ neurogenic claudication; severe lumbar and thoracic spondylosis; moderate cervical osteoarthritis/spondylosis; chronic lumbar radiculopathy since 2005; osteoporosis (hip); severe osteoarthritis since 1997; coccydynia; (adult) scoliosis; adjustment disorder; mood disorder b/c of health condition; persistent depression.
Date Applied: 3/9/2012 (1st), 10/15/2015 (2nd)
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied: 5/2012 (1st); 1/7/2015 (2nd)
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 6/16/2016 - Denied
Date OTR requested: Oct 2016
Date Hearing Notice Received: June 5, 2017
Hearing Date: Sept 17, 2017
Additional Info: Hearing requested July 2016
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 258

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 01:23:06 AM »

That's essentially approving benefits and never paying them? Is there such a thing as Dire Need after hearing and approval? That long as wait... Not possible for done of us

Usually monthly benefits start in 30-90 days after approval.  Receiving approval after ALJ hearing can take 60-90 days, and sometimes longer.  Backpay can take a while, but 9 months is not common.  Some receive their backpay before their approval letter.

Even those living in a shelter no longer qualify as Dire Need, so only your local office can answer that question.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:30:47 PM by Lit Love »
jsm
~ Platinum ~

People helped 278

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »

Well, no. Paying benefits in 3 months or 9 months is not at all the same as never paying them.
Kafkasrecruit
~ Platinum ~

People helped 14

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 11:35:35 PM »

Well, no. Paying benefits in 3 months or 9 months is not at all the same as never paying them.
True. I should have added the condition "if you're hit by a car or your conditions result in death before 9 months" It's a paradox question.
Disability: Arthrodesis (Fusion L2-S1 in 2005 and 2016); post-laminectomy syndrome; spinal canal and foraminal stenoses w/ neurogenic claudication; severe lumbar and thoracic spondylosis; moderate cervical osteoarthritis/spondylosis; chronic lumbar radiculopathy since 2005; osteoporosis (hip); severe osteoarthritis since 1997; coccydynia; (adult) scoliosis; adjustment disorder; mood disorder b/c of health condition; persistent depression.
Lit Love
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 258

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 01:37:02 AM »

True. I should have added the condition "if you're hit by a car or your conditions result in death before 9 months" It's a paradox question.

You need to read some of your older posts.  You have survived long past when you thought you could manage without an approval.
Kafkasrecruit
~ Platinum ~

People helped 14

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 09:43:55 AM »

You need to read some of your older posts.  You have survived long past when you thought you could manage without an approval.

Yeah - someone said to me recently "The miracle is not having a lot or everything you want. The true miracle is having just enough of what you need when you need it.  I continue to pray for those miracles. Being human, however, I allow myself the occasional doubt. It reminds me what faith is.  The doubt, that is.
Kafkasrecruit
~ Platinum ~

People helped 14

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »

Can tell you this, too. The whole experience -- it just steels me in my conviction. Conviction to do whatever it is I can to see this process and the laws around it changed so that the amount and level of human suffering it causes is reduced.
It's cruel and unusual punishment for a program that supposedly exists to protect disabled workers. It actually punishes instead. Reprehensible.
jsm
~ Platinum ~

People helped 278

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »

Curious - do you think that the rules are too strict and that more applicants should be approved with less severe impairments or that the decision should not be based on a universal standard but should be based just on what your doctor says or that SSA needs to start with the assumption that no one would file unless they were truly disabled and it is up to SSA to prove otherwise or that the lower level decisions should be eliminated and everyone goes to an ALJ immediately or that the process just takes too long because there are so many people waiting for a decision? Exactly what and how would you change the process and are those changes actually affordable in the long run?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 200408
  • Total Topics: 19639
  • Online Today: 79
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 65
Total: 68

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc