Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2017, 11:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Welcome to the Forum!
| |-+  PLEASE STOP BY HERE FIRST AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF.
| | |-+  New member Candace aka Candy Type 1 diabetic
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: New member Candace aka Candy Type 1 diabetic  (Read 421 times)
Sickandtired
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« on: August 09, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »

Hi Everyone,  Main18

Nice to meet everyone. I feel like I know most of you already since I have been here so many times, and how smart all of the people here are and can feel their personalities.

I have so many questions. I got an AA Liberal Arts degree in 1997 and an AA degree in Paralegal Studies in 2004.
I have been insulin dependent diabetic since 1995. I was on the pump and now taking Levemir (called the poor man's insulin pump) and Novolog. 
    I have totaled 3 cars, and been fired from pretty much every job I can remember since being diabetic. (Florida is a right to work state.) I am now having numerous problems related to diabetes, along with the fact that if I take a tiny bit too much insulin my sugars drop and I have hypoglycemic unawareness. I can be walking around with a blood glucose reading of 20 just before dropping to the ground. If I don't take enough or wait more than say 1/2 an hr to take my insulin my sugar will spike up to 250. I have had the ambulance come too many times to count, but always declined going to the hospital. (Bad mistake). The Brevard County Fire Rescue only keep records so far back. I have 12 incidents with ambulance on record with ppwk I need to give my attorney from 2002-2010.
 I am downright mean when it is happening either way.  Paramedics hold me down, I thrash and it is fight or flight, and don't remember but bits and pieces.  My bosses have been called many names, etc... Kinda hard to keep a job working for an atty. when they are liable for what I may say to clients and with carpal, etc... 
     I have had reoccuring problems with my shoulders, and they come back less than once a yr, can't sleep and going to physical therapy again.  The first time it was Capsulitis in my left shoulder. My wrists especially hurt (no surgery) no money. 
I go to a health clinic here, (not very good place, they seem to have a lot of people there looking to get on disability) I am scared to say anything to my new doctor about applying for disability. The one I was seeing moved on (they all work there 2 yrs and move on. I didn't tell her either, she asked and that was the end of it.  I have no idea what either doctor has written on their private notations.  All I get is a simple list of problems and medications.
So my mental problems I have had as far back as I can remember. Major depression, have seen many doctors and have taken every depression medicine there is. My diabetes makes it worse. I sleep my life away. I lost my child when he was a baby and I still can't talk about it without crying.

I am signing off now.... more later.

Thanks everyone for reading and I am sure I will appreciate more than you know all of your insight and help. Candy

Thank God for my sweet wonderful boyfriend lives with me and told me I don't have to work. But he is currently unemployed.

Name:  Candace aka Candy
Age at Application:  54
Disability:  Type 1 Diabetes mellitus (uncontrolled) w/ neurologic complications,
                Bicep Tendonosis and Bursitis of right shoulder, Carpal tunnel in both
                wrists, Chronic Dysthymia, Anxiety, Extreme fatigue, MRSA, Cellulitis, ??

Date Applied:  SSDI June 2015
First Approval/Denial Date:  Denied Sept. 2015
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date:  Denied Dec. 2015
Hearing Date:
ALJ Approval/Denial Date:
love_shelties
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »

Welcome!…and Thank You for such a personal and powerful intro. It sounds like you have great strength for all that you’ve had to deal with. I hope you receive a hearing date soon.
Age at Application: 50
Disability: dysthymia (chronic mild depression) + anxiety disorder
Date Applied: September 9, 2016
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied—October 24, 2017
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied—January 26, 2017
Date OTR requested: n/a
Date OTR Approved/Sent to Hearing: n/a
Date Sent to VSU: n/a
Date VSU Approved/Sent to Hearing: n/a
Date Hearing Notice Received: July 13, 2017
Hearing Date: October 3, 2017
Additional Info: hired atty. after initial denial
rosiebluejay
~ Bronze ~

People helped 1

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

Welcome, Candy!

I'm so sorry for your struggles and your tragic loss. That's not something that is ever easy to talk about, and the emotion is totally understandable.

I hope you get a hearing date soon, and that you will keep us posted on how everything goes.
Hang in there...you will get lots of support from the awesome people on this forum.  Support16

Rosie
Name: Rosie
Age at Application: 57
Disability: Lumbar Radiculopathy, Nerve Impingement Syndrome (Rt. Shoulder), DDD, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Hashimoto's Disease, Hypertension, Depression, Anxiety, Etc...
Date Applied: 3/1/17
First Approval/Denial Date: 4/28/17 Initial Claim Denied
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 5/19/17 Filed Reconsideration/ Denied 8/2/17
Paul3597
~ Gold ~

People helped 15

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »

Hi Candy,

Glad you are here!!!  Welcome07   Welcome04

Love_Shelties is right that was a very powerful and personal introduction. This community is awesome - the people here want nothing more than to help one another, and myself personally wouldn't know what I would have done without all of them.

What's is your current status with your application for SSDI? Have you filed anything new since Dec 2015?

Again, I hope you will find all the help you need here.

Paul :-)
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it
Name: Paul
Age at Application: 47
Disability: DDD, Chronic Pain, Failed Spinal Fusion C4-C6, Herniated Discs L2-L4
Date Applied: 8/15/2014
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied 9/2014
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied 1/2015
Date OTR Approved/Sent to Hearing: Sent to Hearing to be scheduled 2/15/2016
Date Hearing Notice Received: Hearing Dismissal Notice Received 4/04/2017
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: APPROVED - 3/16/2017 Case was approved while being reviewed for hearing Onset dated moved up to 5/1/2014
Date Award Letter Received: Received 6/12/2017
Date Back Pay Received: 6/7/2017 -- Mine
Date Dependent Benefits Received: 6/7/2017 - Daughters
Additional Info: First check will be 7/26/2017
JustWantToBeHappy
~ Bronze ~

People helped 2

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »

Welcome08
Name: Nita
Age at Application: 36
Disability: PTSD, Fibromyalgia, Anxiety, Seizures, Peripheral Vasculitis, Idioptic Peripheral Neuropathy
Date Applied: 11/11/2014
First Approval/Denial Date: Don't remember
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: 09/2015
Date Hearing Notice Received: April 2017
Hearing Date: 7/10/17
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: 7/25/17 received 7/31/17
Date Award Letter Received: pending
Date Back Pay Received: pending
Date Dependent Benefits Received: 8/16/17
Additional Info: 2nd claim, first claim 3 years before was denied at the hearing level.
Sickandtired
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »

Thanks to you all for a warm welcome, was not really expecting any comments.  Thought that I would have to get more into discussions.

Hope maybe my problems can help some fellow diabetics out there. So many people have told me they have never heard of anyone who is diabetic on disability, of course much more to it.  I see a few other new members here.

I don't know about powerful, It took me a couple of days off and on to try to introduce myself and explain so I can have people understand my situation. You all would be surprised how little people actually know about diabetes, especially type 1.  But thanks love_shelties and Paul.
RosieBlujay, I am scared out of my mind for the hearing.

Paul, I don't know what you mean as far as filed anything since Dec. 2015?  I do have an attorney since the beginning. She has filed for the hearing, but don't know when yet. She said may be a couple more months.  I don't know if all my records are in as I don't know how to get ALL the records to check what atty has vs. SS.  How do I get all of them??

So is it okay to post a few questions here in the intro?  Here goes...

My attorney has asked me if my boyfriend would make a "good" witness? From what has been posted here seems like judge will say that his "affection" for me would make him not credible?  And what is a good witness anyway? 

Also, wondering what transferable skills I have as a paralegal and if there are enough jobs in the "national economy?" Is that just for my area or actually national?

My hearing is going to be video from Oklahoma, too much load here in Florida. Wonder about that too, and if my attorney knows ahead of the hearing date who the judge will be?

Got more, but scared will be in trouble for posting in wrong area. Hope people still get my questions.  Tired, gonna rest my brain and body for a bit.

Thanks, Candy

Helper
-
~ Platinum ~

People helped 212

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:27:10 AM »

Your attorney & you will find out who your ALJ is before the hearing.  Since it is a video hearing, the attorney may or may not be familiar with the ALJ.

Info on transferable skills:  https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0425015017

You can ask your attorney for a CD of what records they have & what records SSA has so you can review it.

Age at Application: 26 age of onset (but I did not apply until 28)
Date Applied: August 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 2011
Additional Info: I was fortunate to be approved on my initial application due to extensive medical records (12+ doctors) & documentation of unsuccessful work attempts even with significant accommodations
SFVLance
~ Platinum ~

People helped 14

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »

A good witness will be able to clearly able to convey what you can and cannot do based on your disability. They also would not exaggerate.

The national economy means either in the region where you live, or in several regions in the country.
Name: Lance
Age at Application: 46
Disability: Severe Depression, Anxiety, PTSD
Date Applied: June 1, 2012
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied August 31, 2012
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: No Recon in my region of CA
Hearing Date: January 25, 2013; Remand Hearing March 13, 2017
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Denied February 20, 2013; Federally Remanded, Bench Decision March 13, 2017
Additional Info: Got Federal remand; 2nd hearing postponed, rescheduled Fall 2016. Postponed again - finally held March 2017.
Paul3597
~ Gold ~

People helped 15

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:12:12 AM »

Hey Candy,

I'm talking about your BIO that normally posts when you post under your signature. Alot of people read those to see timelines and such of how long your case is taking and so on. It can be a huge help to thers - I know it was for me when I was reading posts and seeing what others were suffering from.

Below I cut and paste your Bio - after Dec 2015 it doesn't say whats happening - if you are appealing or anything throw it in there so others maybe from your state can get an idea of the timeline they will be waiting - all though every case is different sometimes it can help.

Name:  Candace aka Candy
Age at Application:  54
Disability:  Type 1 Diabetes mellitus (uncontrolled) w/ neurologic complications,
                Bicep Tendonosis and Bursitis of right shoulder, Carpal tunnel in both
                wrists, Chronic Dysthymia, Anxiety, Extreme fatigue, MRSA, Cellulitis, ??

Date Applied:  SSDI June 2015
First Approval/Denial Date:  Denied Sept. 2015
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date:  Denied Dec. 2015
Hearing Date:
ALJ Approval/Denial Date:

Paul :-)
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it
Name: Paul
Age at Application: 47
Disability: DDD, Chronic Pain, Failed Spinal Fusion C4-C6, Herniated Discs L2-L4
Date Applied: 8/15/2014
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied 9/2014
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied 1/2015
Date OTR Approved/Sent to Hearing: Sent to Hearing to be scheduled 2/15/2016
Date Hearing Notice Received: Hearing Dismissal Notice Received 4/04/2017
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: APPROVED - 3/16/2017 Case was approved while being reviewed for hearing Onset dated moved up to 5/1/2014
Date Award Letter Received: Received 6/12/2017
Date Back Pay Received: 6/7/2017 -- Mine
Date Dependent Benefits Received: 6/7/2017 - Daughters
Additional Info: First check will be 7/26/2017
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 200408
  • Total Topics: 19639
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 75
Total: 77

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc