Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

thanx

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 02:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Congratulations you were approved!
| |-+  Continuing Disability Reviews
| | |-+  What happens during a review and how often do they happen?
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: What happens during a review and how often do they happen?  (Read 8695 times)
SSDAdmin
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 332

« on: September 26, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »

Did you have to personally meet with Social Security or was it done through the mail?

Was it a long form or just a few questions? What kind of questions did they ask?

Did your doctor have to fill out any paperwork?

How long after you started receiving benefits did you have to do a review?

Thanks for the info

I speak from experience not expertise.
Name: Marci
Age at Application: 35
Disability: Arthritis, Degenerative Disc, Migraines, Foot Injury
Date Applied: September 2005
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied February 2006
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied October 2006
Date Hearing Notice Received: October 2008 two weeks before hearing
Hearing Date: October 2008
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: Letter Received December 2008
Date Award Letter Received: January 2009
Date Back Pay Received: February 2009
Additional Info: Approved at hearing, no Attorney

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:21:27 PM by Hyacinth »
Mark
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »

I have heard that they review cases every 1,3, or 7 years.

I believe they send you a report to fill out and gather your medical records and reveiw them to see if you have improved since you you were approved for benefits.

I think the interview would be dependent on what they read in your records?  Anyone experience this yet?
SSDAdmin
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 332

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »

Mark is right in regards to how often they do reveiws. 

There are two review forms Disability sends.  The short form (FORM 455) or the long form (FORM 454). 

The short form is the one you want to get in this regard.  Though, it is sent to people that they feel do not have a high probability of coming off disability so in that regard you do not want it.  But for review purposes it is the "easy" form.  It is only 2 pages long and read by a computer.  It is only looked at by a human if the computer kicks it out for further review.  The computer will only kick it out if you don't fill out it as instructed, such as going outside the boxes.  You also don't want to put any changes on that form.  If you need to make any changes to your information, call the 800 number or do it online.  If you do it on this form it will kick it out to a human and your form will be reviewed.

Remember, you were approved for Disability on your original diagnosis so don't get nervous and try to make is sound better by adding things to this form because it will only kick it out and put it in a human's hands for review and then you may get sent the "LONG" form.  You want to avoid that at all costs. 

This of course, brings us to the long form.  It is a lot like the original paperwork you filled out when you first applied for disability.  They ask for your Doctor's names, any new diagnosis or medications ect.  Remember this form usually goes to people they expect to get better so if you have any new, worsening or ongoing issues it is important to note them on this form.  Your Doctor should be told of the review to submit their new files.  You should always make copies of everything you send and keep a file so you have it for the next review should you need it.   

I think that is it in regards to reviews, I know they make everyone nervous.  Our benefits are all most of us have financially to keep us going but basically if you can prove you still have the same issues they approved you for then you are good to go.  It is a LOT easier to keep disability benefits then it was to get them.

silent_one
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »

Did you have to personally meet with Social Security or was it done through the mail?

Was it a long form or just a few questions? What kind of questions did they ask?

Thanks for the info

Hello,

And thank you for creating a place to share Social Security Disability information.

I received my CDR (454-BK)(in the mail, no phone call) in December 2009, after being awarded in the fall of 2004.

I have never received the short form (455) during the 5+ years I have been receiving SSD benefits.

It was due in January, so I mailed it the first week, and now I am just waiting to see what happens next.

My disability is 100% mental disorder, and I have been seeing the same Psychiatrist regularly for over 10 years.

My question is this:

How do I find out if my diary is based on Medical Improvement Not Expected (MINE).

The 5 years it took to receive my first CDR may be an indication, however, the SSA is so far behind, maybe I should have been reviewed at 3 years.

My original award notice does not say, so I am not sure how to find out.

I will not call SSA, since I do not trust them.

I was under age 50 when I received my award, but am now over age 50.

I will be happy to share with the board the progress of my current CDR, and I appreciate any information you feel may be helpful for me.

Thank you,

silent_one

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:21:56 PM by silent_one »
SSDAdmin
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 332

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »

Hello Silent One and welcome to the Forum,
     I have not yet had my review but my approval letter called for one in 3 years.  According to Social Security they consider that to be "improvement possible".  If it is "expected" you will receive your review within 18 months and if you are considered "MINE" which as you explained is Medical Improvement not expected, you will not receive your review for 7 years.

You dodged the bullet by getting 5 years without a review.  I was told by my friend that works in the Disability office that I know that people who are on disability for only Mental disorders are almost always in thie category of improvement possible.  That puts you up for a review every 3 years.  They figure due to the advances in medications and treatments there is always a chance of improvement. 

I would not be too concerned as it seems you have a very supportive Doctor and winning your benefits is much harder then losing them.  I think that made sense.  Point is, especially in your case, it is the Doctor that helps out the most and you have been seeing the same one for 10 years.  It seems to me that things are really status quo and chances are they will remain that way. 

I would love to hear what happens.  Please keep us up to date.

Thanks so much.

knowsalittle
~ Platinum ~

People helped 1

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »

Queston:  How do I find out if my diary is based on Medical Improvement Not Expected (MINE).

Response:  The only way to find out for sure is to contact SSA, or the disability person who is working your current case.  Whatever your diary was may be changed when this review is completed.

Continuing Disability Reviews (CDR) are done at various times - as soon as one year or as long as infinity.  If there is medical evidence that suggests the condition should improve shortly, a one year review is set.  If the condition may improve, a three year diary is normally set.  Most mental cases fall nto this mold.  If the condition is considered permanent - blindness, loss of limb, mental retardation, etc., or an initial, or a CDR decision found the beneficiary disabled after age 55 a seven year diary is normally set.

When the case is actually pulled for a CDR is an entirely different matter and is dependent upon a number of factors primarily money.  If Congress does not allocate money for CDR's cases may sit dormant for years.  In other cases, the file slips through the cracks, and again, it may be 10, 15, or more years before a CDR is done. 

Aside from a diary expiring there are a couple of other things that may prompt a CDR:
1 FICA taxes being paid for work performed - if it is above substantial gainful activity ($1000 per month starting 1-01-10
2 A beneficiary qualifying for other benefits.  This usually happens when a beneficiary was found eligible for SSI benefits before age 22 and may now be eligible for SSDI a parent is eligible for SSDI, reaches retirement age, or dies. 
 Note:  Suggest you not worry too much.  For you to have your benefits ceased, SSA must compare the medical findings in your latest determination that you are disabled with your current medical records and show that there has been substantial medical improvement in the ability to perform work related functions.  If SSA should make that determination (highly unlikely if your condition required continued treatment), it must then determine that your current, improved, condition will allow you to perform work related functions on a sustained 40 hr/week basis. 
silent_one
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »

Note:  Suggest you not worry too much.  For you to have your benefits ceased, SSA must compare the medical findings in your latest determination that you are disabled with your current medical records and show that there has been substantial medical improvement in the ability to perform work related functions. 

If SSA should make that determination (highly unlikely if your condition required continued treatment), it must then determine that your current, improved, condition will allow you to perform work related functions on a sustained 40 hr/week basis. 

Yeah, you are right about not worrying, I guess it stirs up all the trauma I went through to get my benefits. Very stressful.

I haven't heard anything back yet, probably takes a few months, but I thank you for a very informative reply.
vannort54
~ Silver ~

People helped 0

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »

Everyone who is on SSDI or SSI will eventually get a review. It is called a Continuing Disability Review (CDR). The timeframe when this happens is how you're are classified: "MIE" medical improvement expected, 18 months to 2 yrs; "MIP" medical improvement possible, within a 3 yr. period; and "MINE" medical improvement NOT EXPECTED. Other factors too, AGE, and condition you were approved on, severity of condition. This is the usual rule of thumb.       
Name: Keith
Age at Application: 54
Disability: Pad
Date Applied: Oct 1 2009
First Approval/Denial Date: Dec 2009
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: March 2010
Hearing Date: None
Additional Info: On the record decision oct 2010

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:15:01 AM by plgerrard »
foxbarking
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »

I was reading what was said about changing information on the form causing it to get kicked out by the computer.  I did put a different phone number in the box besides the signature box because it asked for it and I haven't updated my phone number.  My old number is listed on the front.  Did I foul up?
Kittyholic
~ Platinum ~

People helped 19

The Catwhisperer

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »

Not at all. I think that is why they ask for it - so they can update their records, and have a good phone number to use if they have questions.

The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it. (Richard Bach)
Name: Pati
Age at Application: 53
Disability: Small Fiber & Autonomic Neuropathy; Sjogren's Syndrome; DJD
Date Applied: 02/19/2009
First Approval/Denial Date: Approved 10/26/2009
Date Award Letter Received: 11/17/2009
Date Back Pay Received: 10/25/2009
Additional Info: Assigned to DQB on 10/5/09. Approved.
SSDAdmin
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 332

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »

Jacob,
     Adding new information will cause the computer to "kick out" the form for review.  However, as Pati mentioned, an updated phone number will likely not cause a big problem.  It is best to make all updates by phone and not on the CDR form.  Anything that is updated or beyond the boxes given will cause it to be looked at by human eyes.
Marci

Dragon Fly
Glitter Queen SSDFacts Doughnator
SSDFacts VIP
~ Platinum ~

People helped 20

Mood Swing Goddess of the West Tinfoil Crinkle

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »

Like these----------->  Shocked

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." --  Friedrich Nietzsche
Name: >;<
Age at Application: 37
Disability: Complex PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety Disorder
Date Applied: October 8, 2010
First Approval/Denial Date: Approved verbally March 15th, 2011. Approval letter dated April 5, 2011
Additional Info: 2 weeks in QR, Received backpay April 4th, 2011
Sam
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »

No, it was all done by mail and I had a very pleasant gentleman who was working on my case that we talked several times on the phone.

Long Form and no questions outside the normal long form standard questions.

I am aware that my doctor was sent something to fill out and I know she added additional comments but I don't know what she said. I only know because the SSA person working my case told me she filled out a form and added additional information.

I was scheduled to have one done after 2 years but didn't happend for 5 years. I received a letter informing me of a review. Shortly after I received the long form in Nov 2010. Was scheduled for doctor appointments in Jan 2011 and I just received my continuing disablity letter yesterday.
SSDAdmin
Administrator
~ Platinum ~

People helped 332

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »

Sam,
    Great post and wonderful information.  It will help those that are going to go through this process a lot.
Thank you

Dragon Fly
Glitter Queen SSDFacts Doughnator
SSDFacts VIP
~ Platinum ~

People helped 20

Mood Swing Goddess of the West Tinfoil Crinkle

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »

Sam! Yay! I DO remember that your lost post last night was good news....woo hoo....I am so happy that you can breathe again and it is so helpful that you share this information.

Onwards and forwards.......Smiley

>;<
Dragon Fly

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." --  Friedrich Nietzsche
Name: >;<
Age at Application: 37
Disability: Complex PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety Disorder
Date Applied: October 8, 2010
First Approval/Denial Date: Approved verbally March 15th, 2011. Approval letter dated April 5, 2011
Additional Info: 2 weeks in QR, Received backpay April 4th, 2011
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 157160
  • Total Topics: 14811
  • Online Today: 94
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc