Home PageForumLatest TopicsHelpContact UsLoginRegister

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 02:04:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

+  Social Security Disability Facts Forum
|-+  Helpful SSDI and SSI Topics
| |-+  General Disability Discussion
| | |-+  SNAP-CAP Food Stamp Eligibility for SSI Recipient in Texas
Theme modified by www.pinoyden.com | WebDesigns www.devph.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: SNAP-CAP Food Stamp Eligibility for SSI Recipient in Texas  (Read 2375 times)
ssi_usa
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« on: August 26, 2012, 08:25:05 PM »

I am receiving SSI monthly payment $698 and living in Texas. I joined SSI program few months ago and recently received a mail from Texas Health and Human Commission department with a form to apply for SNAP-CAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Combined Application Project).

As per what I understand SNAP-CAP provides a food stamp up to $81 per month and for those who have a utility expense a lot higher than $281 per month, should apply for regular SNAP food stamps benefits.

Questions:
1. Will applying or receiving SNAP-CAP food stamp benefits effect my monthly SSI payment?
2. I live with my son but I also pay my share of all utility and food expenses. My son works full time. Since I get SSI benefits and above 65 year, do I need to count my son's monthly income for SNAP-CAP food stamps elgibility? SSI did not count my son's income because he is above 21 and married and not dependent on me. But do I need to count his monthly income for SNAP-CAP benefits eligibility? In my understanding from reading form documents received in mail, I should not count his income and form is asking only my monthly utility expenses. But I am not sure if that is my right understanding.

Please help with your knowledge and expertise on this.

Thanks in advance!
kworkman27
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:55 AM »

Hi,
I recently applied for and recieved food stamps and medicaid.  What they told me was to list everyone in the household, but you only have to list the income for the person(s) that are applying for assistance.  I live with my Mom and Step-Dad, I had to list them on the application as living in the same household, but I only had to provide income for myself and my son as we were the only ones applying for assistance.  Hope this helps.
Name: Kelly
Age at Application: 34
Disability: Diabetic Neuropathy in all four limbs, Depression & Anxiety Disorder
Date Applied: 5/24/2012
First Approval/Denial Date: Denied: 7/26/2012
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: Denied: 8/21/2012
Hearing Date: October 3, 2013
Additional Info: Retained Attorney after Initial Denial, Attorney's Office filed recon 8/9/2012, hearing 10/3/2013
ssi_usa
~ Copper ~

People helped 0

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »

Hi,
I recently applied for and recieved food stamps and medicaid.  What they told me was to list everyone in the household, but you only have to list the income for the person(s) that are applying for assistance.  I live with my Mom and Step-Dad, I had to list them on the application as living in the same household, but I only had to provide income for myself and my son as we were the only ones applying for assistance.  Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your response! I have a couple of questions for you Smiley

1. Are you also receiving SSI benefits?
2. Do you live in Texas?

I don't work at all. So I don't have any monthly income other than SSI benefits. From what I understand, SNAP-CAP is a special program offered in Texas only for SSI recipients. This benefit is different than regular SNAP benefit which requires to fill out personal monthly income (because SNAP-CAP already knows monthly income from SSI application data). That is probably the reason why they do not need any personal visit to their office, and the form I have received in mail does not even ask my monthly income or household size. It is asking only my monthly utility expenses. Please correct if I am making any wrong assumptions on this.

Thanks again for your response!
myersd63
~ Platinum ~

People helped 3

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »

In general for SNAP other family members (other than a spouse) are not counted as income. Them living with you can lower the amount of the benefit is you buy and prepare food together. If that question is not asked on the form, include a signede statement that you buy and prepare your meals separetly from the rest of the HH members.
Duane1965
~ Bronze ~

People helped 0

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »

You can get Food Stamps if you are on SSI or SSDI. The amount of food stamps depends on your income. But if you are over 65 years old. You can get $100 to $126 a month of food stamps. This is an estimate and you can also get help to pay for Medicines and apply for Medicaid from your STATE. You can even apply for LEAP to help pay for your utilities for the WINTER and for SPRING. There are alot of programs to help you out. You just have to go to your local Dept. of Human Services office in the town you live in. I hope this information helps you out and you have any questions, PM me anytime. Duane1965

Duane1965
Name: Duane1965
Age at Application: 46
Disability: Anemia, Iron Deficiency, GERD, Depression, Panic Disorder, Schizoid & Hiatus Hernia
Date Applied: September 1, 2011
First Approval/Denial Date: November 25, 2011 - Denied
Reconsideration Approval/Denial Date: No Request for Reconsideration in the State of Colorado
Hearing Date: Do not have ALJ hearing, Got APPROVED in the PRE HEARING stage
ALJ Approval/Denial Date: April 2, 2012. Got letter in the mail on April 7, 2012
Additional Info: Do Not GIVE UP. I was FINALLY APPROVED. NO LAWYER. Did everything myself.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 9070
  • Latest: MDick
Stats
  • Total Posts: 148773
  • Total Topics: 13923
  • Online Today: 111
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM)
Users Online

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc