Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 08:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Opioid dependence?  (Read 3810 times)

tedster57

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
Re: Opioid dependence?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »
 No, I haven't tried any of the new stuff. It's seems like every time I'm going to talk to the doctor about it, the opioid police (CDC) need funding. So obviously there must be an epidemic. It took me a year to find a doctor who would prescribe pain meds. Real pain meds. It's a shame, but I have to walk on eggs in this day and age. There are many folks who can't get opioids. So I guess that's why I keep my mouth shut. I really like my doctor and wouldn't want her to send me to someone else. You've heard doctors say when someone is terminal "All we can do now is keep them comfortable". I say why can't they do that for those who are not terminal.   

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 387
  • Mean Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »
The problem is that too many patients prescribed opioids are overstating their pain and need for excess medication, and then they sell the excess pills illegally.  There is a higher demand than supply for prescription pain pills on the Black Market.  So following the laws of supply and demand, the prices people will pay for off-the-street pain pills is quite high.  Therefore the drug pushers are willing to pay someone, who is willing to sell some, enough money for those people to risk their own futures (jail, and getting no more pain medication), in the event they get caught.

The drug problems are different in various areas of the Country, opioids in the South, super heroin in the Northeast, Ice on the West Coast, and Meth is pretty much everywhere.
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 612
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 03:37:52 PM »
tedster57, are you seeing a Pain Management Dr or is your pcp prescribing your pain meds? If your pcp is prescribing your pain meds, you would probably be better off with a Pain Management Dr. If you are seeing a Pain Management Dr, most of them limit the amount of immedicate release pain meds they prescribe.
Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Paul3597

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 15
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »
I know this post is a little old but i just wanted to throw my two cents in in case someone else comes along and reads this.

Over the past 4 years I have been on many combinations of pain meds and various treatment for my pain. If you take pain meds yes after awhile your body becomes dependent on the meds but it is a far cry from abusing your meds. You always have to be honest with yourself, and put yourself in check if you see yourself reaching for that bottle more than you are supposed to. With pain meds one of the side effects sometimes for some is memory slips now and then. I have literally had to sometimes count my pills to see if I took my morning dose because I could not remember. Now I got that new Pill Pro which organizes my pills for a week and it has four compartments so I know when to take it and its been extremely helpful.

Just a word of caution when it comes to MS Contin (ER) - I started slowly on this taking it two times a day once in the morning and once at night - I think at one point before my surgery I was up to 80mg along with Perc 10/325 4 times a day. Over the past couple of years I have tried to slowly come down in dosages as I was getting concerned and my moods were all over the place. With MS Contin it's highly addictive and when I woke up in the morning I didn't feel right until I took one - to me that was a bad sign. So I told my doctor and we switched to Morphine Sulfate (ER) now I know technically its the same thing but for some reason I do not have the side effects like I did on the MS Contin (ER).

I hope this helps someone down the road.
Paul :-)
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 612
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 02:25:48 PM »
Paul, MS Contin is the brand name. Morphine Sulfate is the generic name. Binders and fillers vary, depending on the manufacturer. Binders and fillers can affect how an active ingredient is absorbed into the system. 

As far back as I can remember I have always written down when I or a family member took medication. I write down the  name of the med, the dosage taken, and the exact time it was taken.

i agree with your advice. Opiates are powerful medications. Some patients lower their guard, so to speak, when they have taken them for an extended period of time. This is never a good idea. 

This is the only med that has ever knocked me out. I took 15 mg twice daily. It worked great at managing my pain. But, unless  I could have figured out a way to get up and do thing in my sleep, they did not help me function.  I'm glad the Morphine Sulfate is working for you.
Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

grove800

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 33
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 06:46:12 PM »
I have never had a problem with opiates knocking me down.   Been on oxicotin ER 40mg 2 x daily and oxicodene 15 3 x daily.  My problem is I'm tolerate now but I'm not ever at this point going to increase.  I just won't I will do whatever procedure that will help. 

One big problem then becomes the blood sugar levels on the injections.  This time my doc is doing the RFA without the steroid which he usually uses.  We shall see how it goes. 

To add, I've always used a pill case for my meds since I take many others and have never gone over my limit and nor will I.  Main reason is I never want to be without my PM doc and he tests
randomly. 
😊

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202421
  • Total Topics: 19850
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 43
Total: 45

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.