Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 05:58:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: SSDI and Medicaid  (Read 8294 times)

dantanna85

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
SSDI and Medicaid
« on: July 01, 2016, 10:21:14 PM »
I've been reading these forums for the last year and find them so helpful. I'm hoping someone may be able to answer a question I have.   I applied for SSDI in April 2015, was denied in August 2015 and appealed shortly thereafter.  To my amazement, I actually won my appeal phase and began receiving SSDI in May 2016. 

In January 2016 when I had to reapply for the health care (Obamacare), they put me on Nevada State Medicaid since I had not income and could not work.   That was fine, but when I was approved in May I don't know if I'm supposed to reapply now since I have SSDI or wait until the open enrollment.  I know it will take 24 months for me to get Medicare, so i will have to stay on an Obamacare or Medicaid program until then.

My questions are: 

1) Can I continue to receive Medicaid for the rest of 2016 since I'm on SSDI now? 

2) Does anyone know how the Affordable Health Care act treats SSDI?  Is it income? Is it not? 

I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed with my medical insurance.

Thanks a lot, hope you all have the luck I had getting approved in just over a year.

Mike

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 617
  • Nice Administrator
Re: SSDI and Medicaid
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:53:21 PM »
What is your Established Onset Date ? That is the date that the ALJ found you became disabled. Medicare kicks in 29 months after your EOD. The 29 months is the 5 month waiting period + 24 months. SSDI is counted as income for Medicaid. You need to contact your Medicaid worker or state Medicaid programa and let them know that there has been a change in your income and how much SSDI you  are receiving. It will be up to them to determine if you're still eligible for Medicaid. If you aren't you can go to the link below and purchase your health insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/
Nerve damage in upper and lower extremities. Degenerative Disc Disease, RA.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 240
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 03:04:43 AM »
Losing Medicaid due to a change in income is a qualifying event to buy health insurance from the exchange outside of the normal open enrollment period.  So, don't worry that open enrollment is not for several months you can still get coverage now if needed!

wornoutworker

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 14
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
You should report your income change to the state. Medicaid is income based,you will roll over to a silver type plan.

dantanna85

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »
Thanks, I will contact Medicaid Monday to make the changes and go from there.  Thanks for the help.

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203526
  • Total Topics: 19963
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.