Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2017, 01:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: CDR mental exam-will we lose benefits????  (Read 1990 times)

sarahj

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
CDR mental exam-will we lose benefits????
« on: December 15, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
Hi there- My husband who will be 55 yrs old in a few months has been receiving disability since 2012.  He had a review and they requested he see their phych doctors (again) as part of the review process.  We saw the same social security mental health doctor as he saw the first time around during his application process 4.5 years ago.  My question is this....will we lose his benefits??  I feel the appointment went "well" and the doctor acted the same as our first visit with him.  But we're scared that we will get a letter saying he's no longer disabled.  He was approved due to complex PTSD, anxiety, and depression.  Also, what's the time line here?  I mean, when will we know if his benefits will continue or if they will end?  Thanks very much in advance for any guidance as we're on pins and needles and don't know what to expect.  Thanks again!

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 234
Re: CDR mental exam-will we lose benefits????
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
Is he seeing a psychologist  and/or psychiatrist regularly?

If he gets a cessation letter, he can appeal & receive benefits during the appeal if he contacts SSA within 10 days of the date on the letter.

sarahj

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »
Is he seeing a psychologist  and/or psychiatrist regularly?

If he gets a cessation letter, he can appeal & receive benefits during the appeal if he contacts SSA within 10 days of the date on the letter.
Thanks for response!  Yes, he has been seeing the same psychologist weekly for 5 years.

Different Perspective

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 566
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »

"My question is this....will we lose his benefits??  Original post this thread.

WAY to little information to guess.

"Also, what's the time line here?  I mean, when will we know if his benefits will continue or if they will end?"  Ibid.

No way to tell.  Anywhere from a couple of weeks to 8+ months. 

"...he has been seeing the same psychologist weekly for 5 years."  Reply #2.

You may want to consider providing the examiner with a list showing the dates of each visit for the past year.  (Just the dates and a tolal of the number of visits, nothing more.)

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 273
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:54 PM »
If he's going to therapy weekly, his condition hasn't improved substantially and he's not working, I'll go out on a limb and say the odds are VERY low he'd receive a notice of a Cessation of benefits. 

sarahj

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »
Thanks for responding, everyone.  I tried not to make my original post super long, so I know there are details left out.  He's been going to the same therapist weekly for 5 years, 4 of those years he's been receiving ssdi.  He's also been going to his primary care doc every 3 months (as per their plan) for meds.  Those appointments have continued for 5 years as well.  He hasn't improved and has not worked since before being originally approved in 2012.  We're just very nervous as we've never been through this part of the journey.  It's very scary to think that something we depend on and truly need may be taken away.  Thanks again for the input!

steve

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 4
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »
There's really no need to worry..AS long as your husband is still disabled,hasn't worked,takeing prescribed meds and seeing the doctor on a regular basis he should be good to go...Its the people who dont' see a doctor regurely,dont take there meds like they are supposed to who have a problem...

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 387
  • Mean Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »
When the topic of CDR is mentioned, it is natural to worry.  Don't let anyone tell you different; however don't worry too much.  You have posted your concerns and received some excellent answers.  As Different Perspective pointed out, we don't and never will have enough information to tell a member whether or not a short form CDR will turn into a long form, or if a long form CDR will require additional testing like your husband.

What we do know is what the Social Security Administration is looking for, and that is if the beneficiary is still disabled.  There are far too many people who claim to be disabled, obtain benefits, and stop seeking treatment for their claimed disabilities.  I state the word claimed, because there are those who fraudulently applied and received benefits.  We have even had one or two join the board to learn how to explain their lack of treatment.  We vet those members carefully, and if we decide they are not disabled, then they are banned.  It doesn't happen often, as we are known for running a strict board that adheres to the same rules and regulations as the Social Security Administration.

On that note, as long as your husband has not improved, then the Social Security Administration would have an uphill battle in trying to cease his benefits.  Initially, you have to PROVE you're disabled to the Social Security Administration, but after you're awarded benefits, then the shoe is on the other foot and the Social Security Administration has to prove that you're not disabled.  It is very hard for the Social Security Administration to do in most cases, except when someone with severe disabling back problems posts recent pictures of themselves jet-skiing on vacation.  It has happened, and they not only lost their benefits, they were charged with fraud.

Don't hesitate to ask questions!  That's what we're here for.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:24:59 PM by Bonzai »
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

sarahj

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Oh my goodness, THANK YOU to all that responded!  It's a comforting feeling to know that others understand these stresses.  I'm glad that this board vets people the way you do.  Asking advice or for shared experiences is MUCH different than asking for ways to scam the system.  I'm just a worrier in general, and this is such an important situation.  Like most all of the people on here, my husband is truly disabled.  And like many of you, we depend on his benefits monthly for our survival. Thanks again for the support, I'm grateful for all of you!

steve

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 4
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
I would also like to comment about the short forms..When social security sends a person the short form they are not expecting any medical improvement in your case...The short forms are sent to those who's disability isn't likely to get better...However,there are a few questions on the short form that can trigger a person getting the long form...For example checking the box that you have worked at or near the SGA level...checking the box saying your doctor said you can work,and checking the box saying that your feeling better...any of these answers can and will trigger a long form....

steve

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 4
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »
I must agree with lit love...If your husband's condition hasn't improved and continues to seek treatment and itsn't working,he should be good to go....

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
  • Total Members: 9291
  • Latest: Chask7
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202513
  • Total Topics: 19863
  • Online Today: 41
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.