Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2017, 04:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: CDR short form but I wrote in the comment boxes.. question.  (Read 1290 times)

needanswers

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
CDR short form but I wrote in the comment boxes.. question.
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
I have a question. My adult niece received her cdr form, short form, in october 2016. I didn't know it is better not to do more than check off boxes and not "write" details in the spaces. So of course I did this. Well, we still have not heard anything and I'm wondering if they are going to send her the long form, to an exam, or what? She is 37 btw. She applied at 19, was sent to a psycologist and after waiting many months to hear something, she was approved. Yes, approved on her first and only time applying. We know how it was all backlogged for quite a while. She did not have a CDR until 14 years later. In 2014 she was sent a form, I cannot remember if it was short or long, and then we received a letter stating insufficient evidence and an exam would need to be done. Well to be honest, at the time she hadnt seen her doctor in over a year. It is just quite difficult getting her to go to places. So she was sent for an exam with a psyscologist who asked her why she thinks she cant work (my niece had no idea what to say and said she doesnt know) and told her that "she cant be on disability forever". After that fun filled experience her benefits continued.  Since 2014, she has been seeing her PCP every 3 months. Im just wondering if you think a long form is heading our way, or an exam? She has severe osteoarthritis and no one wants to replace the knees due to the age, which is FRUSTRATING. This girl has kneecap dislocations and locked joint as well. She is also on medication for depression after telling her doctor she felt sad and wanted life to be over. But the reason she is actually on the disability (SSI) is from mental retardation. She worked once in her life in 1998 for 3 months and was terminated. I dont even want to get into it.

I guess my question is has anyone here received short form, and been sent a long form a few months later? I wish I hadnt wrote in the sections on her short form. I really was just trying to be honest and explain her issues. And now Im just worried. I just hope she isn't looking at another exam.

needanswers

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
Re: CDR short form but I wrote in the comment boxes.. question.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
I also wanted to add that she has a visiting nurse to distribute her medications every day. And a home health aide to help with her personal care 3x a week. Her doctor has requested home health aide daily. We just have a REALY hard time with the personal care aides. My niece has gone through about 7 of them in the last year. She has such a hard time with the way they touch her, help her etc etc. As of now, we barely get her to accept the aide 3x a week. Family help the other 4 days

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 232
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
If you write in the comment boxes, it has to be read by a person instead of by a computer.  Therefore it takes longer for you to get a response.

It is possible that she will get a benefit continuation letter or a long form CDR.

In the future, do not write comments because you can submit those comments when you submit the long form CDR, if necessary.

Different Perspective

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 566
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:12:43 AM »
"I guess my question is has anyone here received short form, and been sent a long form a few months later?"

Sure.

"I wish I hadnt wrote in the sections on her short form."

Water under the bridge.  Don't worry about it.  The only thing SSA will consider is "Has Medical Improvement related to the ability to perform Significant Gainful Activity occurred since the Comparison Point Decision in 2014.  Reply #1 suggests MI has not occurred.   SSA considers IQ to be stable at age 16 and will not order new IQ testing so unless the payee has joined Mensa there is little chance SSA will be able to prove MI has occurred.

needanswers

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »
If you write in the comment boxes, it has to be read by a person instead of by a computer.

I knew that, and just forgot. My life is extremely busy with my neice and my own stuff. AH. I will make note of that and put it in her file, thanks.

In the future, do not write comments because you can submit those comments when you submit the long form CDR, if necessary.

Got it. I wasn't thinking if more info was necessary they would just send the long form. So awful. Putting her at risk for another exam just because I forgot this information.

needanswers

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:00:18 AM »
"I guess my question is has anyone here received short form, and been sent a long form a few months later?"

Sure.

"I wish I hadnt wrote in the sections on her short form."

Water under the bridge.  Don't worry about it.  The only thing SSA will consider is "Has Medical Improvement related to the ability to perform Significant Gainful Activity occurred since the Comparison Point Decision in 2014.  Reply #1 suggests MI has not occurred.   SSA considers IQ to be stable at age 16 and will not order new IQ testing so unless the payee has joined Mensa there is little chance SSA will be able to prove MI has occurred.

Thank you so much. This helps put my mind at ease. I didn't even know some of this information, so thats super helpful and good to know. I guess this is a "scary" time for many people. My niece however, doesn't care because she doesnt understand what it all means. Thats probably a good thing. :)

steve

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 4
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
Social security sends the short forms to people who's disabling condition isn't likely to improve and is just 6 questions...However there are some questions that can be tricky that can lead to a long form and full medical review..For example,checking the box saying that your working at or near the SGA level..checking the box saying that you haven't seen a doctor,checking the box saying that your doctor says you can work,or checking the box saying your feeling better...any of these could trigger a long form...

steve

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 4
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
I think the reason why they first send you the short form and then the long form is this..On the short form when they ask you how you are feeling and you either check the box that your feeling better or checking the box that your feeling the same..This might be sending the message to social security that at some point in the near future your condition might improve which will warrant sending out the long form..On the other hand if you checked the box saying that your feeling worse than this will almost assure you of your benefits continueing and not receive the long form.

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 273
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
I think the reason why they first send you the short form and then the long form is this..On the short form when they ask you how you are feeling and you either check the box that your feeling better or checking the box that your feeling the same..This might be sending the message to social security that at some point in the near future your condition might improve which will warrant sending out the long form..On the other hand if you checked the box saying that your feeling worse than this will almost assure you of your benefits continueing and not receive the long form.

Checking your condition is the same does not trigger a Long Form as has been explained before.

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 387
  • Mean Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »

Incorrect.  Please desist on telling members how to answer CDR questions, everyone's situation is different.

Social Security sends out Continuing Disability Reviews because they are required to by law.  Short form CDRs are much less expensive to process, and contain questions that ascertain a beneficiary's current status.  If the beneficiary's status shows improvement, inconsistent answers, or no longer receiving treatment, then a long form CDR will be sent out.  A random 5% of all beneficiaries will receive a long form CDR for quality assurance purposes.

Informing other members to check that their condition is worse is asking them to commit fraud.  Depending upon the impairment(s), marking worse on a CDR may trigger a long form CDR, because Social Security will want to know exactly how the beneficiary's condition has become worse, and what medical evidence is supportive of the claim.
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202443
  • Total Topics: 19853
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 26
Total: 27

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.