Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2017, 06:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Questions about authorized SSA representatives after being approved for SSDI  (Read 830 times)

stellamartin123

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 1
A few questions about authorized SSA representatives after you've been approved for SSDI.

1.  Can you have more than 1 authorized SSA representative?
2.  Can you have an authorized SSA representative and not have a representative payee?
3.  Can an authorized SSA representative take care of SSA issues on your behalf without you being present?

I went to my local SSA office and asked if I could sign up a 2nd person (my mother) as my authorized SSA representative.  The person said "no" and that you can only have 1 representative.  The person also told me that the authorized SSA representative is only for before you're approved, and that now since I'm approved for SSDI the authorized representative can't do anything on my behalf with me being present.  The person said that now that I'm approved, I can't have an authorized SSA representative unless I have a representative payee.  They said that the authorized representative can't do anything with regards to SSA on my behalf unless I'm present and authorize them.  The worker said only a representative payee can do SSA matters on my behalf without me being present.  This didn't sound right to me and I asked them if they were sure, and the SSA worker said they were sure. 

Can someone confirm whether this SSA worker is correct? 

grove800

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 33
Someone will chime in that can help you with this answer. 
😊

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 610
  • Nice Administrator
You can only have one  Representative Payee. When SSA determines a beneficiary needs someone to manage their finances , SSA will  require a Representative Payee. This person can also deal with SSA regarding other matters. Having a Representative Payee does not mean SSA won't deal with you directly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:15:57 PM by Just Me »
Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Different Perspective

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 566

I am not sure I understand the question(s).  What are you trying to accomplish?  In your mind, what is the difference between a representative and a representative payee?  Why should these people be different? 

stellamartin123

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 1

I am not sure I understand the question(s).  What are you trying to accomplish?  In your mind, what is the difference between a representative and a representative payee?  Why should these people be different? 
I don't have a representative payee and don't need one but want an authorized ssa representative.

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 227

I don't have a representative payee and don't need one but want an authorized ssa representative.

Why do you want an authorized representative to contact SSA on your behalf?

Once you are receiving benefits, most people have little to no contact with SSA until they receive a CDR.

SSA is not going to allow 2 authorized representatives on your account.  Otherwise, they could contact SSA & give conflicting info.  Another poster tried to add a family member as a representative but was unable to do so until his case was decided because he was using a lawyer already & adding the family member would automatically remove the lawyer.

stellamartin123

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 1

Why do you want an authorized representative to contact SSA on your behalf?

Once you are receiving benefits, most people have little to no contact with SSA until they receive a CDR.

SSA is not going to allow 2 authorized representatives on your account.  Otherwise, they could contact SSA & give conflicting info.  Another poster tried to add a family member as a representative but was unable to do so until his case was decided because he was using a lawyer already & adding the family member would automatically remove the lawyer.

There have been SSA issues like not receiving backpay that an authorized SSA representative would be able to help me with but the SSA worker told me that SSA representatives can't handle SSA issues on your behalf without you being present.  Is this correct?

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 610
  • Nice Administrator
Represetative Payees can handle financial issues without you being there. But, you can also handle certain matters without them being there. The point of having a Representaive Payee is to ensure the benefits go to pay for  legimate living expenses first and that the money is not misspent. 

In some situatioins, the beneficary can give SSA permission to discuss certain aspects of their case with a certain person. But this is not the same as a Representative Payee.  If you can't handle discussing back pay you have not received with SSA, perhaps you need a Representative Payee. As DP stated, once you begin receiving monthly benefits, there is usually little contact with SSA.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:16:25 PM by Just Me »
Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202338
  • Total Topics: 19842
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.