Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2017, 01:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: You Won but Now what.....  (Read 1935 times)

Paul3597

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 15
You Won but Now what.....
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:51:16 PM »
If you are waiting to hear about your case, its one thing some thing to fight for something to keep you going. A few weeks ago I got the good news that I won, but now all that is running through my head what can i do...I watched everything on NETFLIX...I have read all the books I wanted to..I sit in pain 100% of the day...but I feel like I lost the ability to fight for something.
As much as I would like to be in the workforce I have accepted that that just can't happen anymore...but what to do now to fill my days so I feel like I have a purpose????
Anyone else go through this?
Paul :-)
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 227
Re: You Won but Now what.....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »
That is very  common.

TipBill

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »
Hi Paul,

I know exactly what you are going through.  I fought my fight for disability for 34 months and finally won, and like you I am left wondering what to do with myself.  Winning my case was what I focused (some would say obsessed) on for 36 months and now I am like "what now".  In fact my husband said to me "what are you going to obsess about now" and I told him I'm sure I'll think of something, I always do. Just be happy that it's over with and try to move on.  That's what I'm trying to do.

grove800

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 33
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »
Most of us experience this I think. For me it was finally realizing I was labeled disabled and I was then completely depressed for some time since this was never my plan In life. I see so many others around me my age with the capabilities of doing so much.  I'm still trying to find some purpose with my life.  I feel like I can't contrubute much of anything but expensive medical bills.   

Maybe I have just given in!
😊

bobby111

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 2
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
I know how you feel I'm exactly the same as you.....

Paul3597

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 15
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »
Hey All,

SO what does everyone do to fill their days? Maybe some ideas will help. Right now I'm waiting on getting processed through the system and have yet to receive any of my benefits or my back pay for myself or for my daughter.
So at least I can check the SSA website like 50 times a day.... lol but its something to do. I used to run e-commerce businesses but that required a lot of physical work packing and lifting but those days have been done for a long time now....
Big Sci Fi Fan but the ones that are on NetFlix are a joke and Amazon I don't do because I'm not spending money on movies while my family has been through the trenches with me.

So I would love to hear if anyone has the time...... what you do through out the day to fill your days, I don't care how silly it sounds I am open to anything.

Thanks
Paul :-)
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 271
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
Hey All,

SO what does everyone do to fill their days? Maybe some ideas will help. Right now I'm waiting on getting processed through the system and have yet to receive any of my benefits or my back pay for myself or for my daughter.
So at least I can check the SSA website like 50 times a day.... lol but its something to do. I used to run e-commerce businesses but that required a lot of physical work packing and lifting but those days have been done for a long time now....
Big Sci Fi Fan but the ones that are on NetFlix are a joke and Amazon I don't do because I'm not spending money on movies while my family has been through the trenches with me.

So I would love to hear if anyone has the time...... what you do through out the day to fill your days, I don't care how silly it sounds I am open to anything.

Thanks

Reading is always a good option.  I used to spend a $100 a month on books and then started using a free E library.

Figure out a hobby you can manage.  Volunteer a little if you're able.  Could you be a mentor for a young entrepreneur?

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 227
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:28:36 PM »
Are there any crafts you might enjoy?  Knitting/crocheting?  Adult coloring books? Making decorative cards? Painting?

Stillashamed

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »
Like the other person, I need prayers that I would win.  i have had my ALJ hearing and its been almost 60 days so I am hoping to hear soon.  If I am successful and I don't have to obsess on the SSA website and blogs I hope to volunteer, however, I don't want to make a commitment (like every Monday, every Wednesday) i would need to leave it open with the flexibility.  Also I have started to go to a drop in center, that helps with creating friends, and enjoying the holidays when your alone.

Tavoschica

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 3
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 05:50:42 PM »
It took me 4 months and a day to hear from the hearing with the adj to find out I was approved. Now I am just waiting on money. Any money. Lol
I read incessantly and always have even when I wasn't disabled. I can never read enough. I also am fairly crafty when I want to be. Anything you want to do, you can learn how on YouTube. I am currently learning the vinyl crafting and vinyl tshirts even though I have no equipment yet. When I get my back pay I am getting a vinyl machine, not Cricutexplore or silhouette, and a heat press and I am going to make tshirts and anything else I can make and sell with a heat press and a vinyl machine. I just want to make some extra money plus I will be able up make my own shirts for my grandsons sports activities instead of paying someone else to do it! Im always looking for ideas to make money.
Paul you and I have alot in common with the back issues and pain. I too live that life. I feel your pain. It took me probably a year and a half after back surgery to not wake up each day and want to kill myself if I had to live like this. I'm better now and want to live again and actually enjoy the things I can still do.

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 271
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »
It took me 4 months and a day to hear from the hearing with the adj to find out I was approved. Now I am just waiting on money. Any money. Lol
I read incessantly and always have even when I wasn't disabled. I can never read enough. I also am fairly crafty when I want to be. Anything you want to do, you can learn how on YouTube. I am currently learning the vinyl crafting and vinyl tshirts even though I have no equipment yet. When I get my back pay I am getting a vinyl machine, not Cricutexplore or silhouette, and a heat press and I am going to make tshirts and anything else I can make and sell with a heat press and a vinyl machine. I just want to make some extra money plus I will be able up make my own shirts for my grandsons sports activities instead of paying someone else to do it! Im always looking for ideas to make money.
Paul you and I have alot in common with the back issues and pain. I too live that life. I feel your pain. It took me probably a year and a half after back surgery to not wake up each day and want to kill myself if I had to live like this. I'm better now and want to live again and actually enjoy the things I can still do.

If you plan to sell t-shirts you'll need to notify SS.

newdawn

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 91
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 08:05:47 PM »
Anything you want to do, you can learn how on YouTube.

I don't know how I managed in pre-youtube years. I mean, some things are great to learn in person and I originally learned how to knit from a woman in-person. However, every time I was on my own and made a mistake or didn't know how to do something, I'd have to try to figure it out from a knitting book (assuming a had a book that covered the technique) or wait until I could ask a knitter in person and have them show me what to do. Now if I forget how to do something I just look for a youtube video and so far, there's been a video for everything I was looking for.

(Lit Love is correct about reporting t-shirt selling activity.)

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 227
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »

If you plan to sell t-shirts you'll need to notify SS.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0410510010

In addition to reporting your income, t-shirt sales would be self-employment so you should keep good records of your work expenses (such as the cost to buy the t-shirts that you will add the vinyl to) & the number of hours you are actually working at making the shirts first your SSA reports.

Tavoschica

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 3
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »
Thank you for that information. I am glad you guys told me that before I messed up my Ssdi that took me over 2 years to get. I will just stick with making the shirts for myself and family. I get ideas sometimes and don't really think them all the way thru, because I don't think I would be able to be standing up and moving around enough to make much money at making shirts. And my ability to make tshirts does not fit with my desire to do it. Sometimes I get ahead of myself. I'm still getting used to my body not being able to do the things I used to do even though it had been almost 3 years. I see all these videos and think I could do that, no I used to could do that!!! Uggg I will just stick with crafts and not a business idea. Thanks everyone.

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202337
  • Total Topics: 19842
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 32
Total: 34

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.