Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2017, 01:31:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: What did you bring to the hearing?  (Read 660 times)

Mjwhite1

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 1
What did you bring to the hearing?
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
I have everything on hand, RFCs, emails from the EDD, my own timeline of how everything went down, medication lists, workers comp files, and some medical records printed (although my main medical file is over 2000 pages)

I found out this week that they hadn't received updated medical records and I had ordered a copy so I was able to submit the 2000 page file for the judge to see this years records, so that came in handy.

Did you bring anything with you as a backup or go empty handed?
Disability: Somatic Symptom Disorder with chronic hand pain, Borderline Personality Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, GAD, PTSD, Mild OCD... 
Onset: 2/18/13 (32)
Applied: 10/05/14 (33) - Denied
Reconsideration: - Denied
A.L.J. Hearing Date: 04/26/17 - Denied 6/10/17
A.C. Appeal - 07/27/17

SFVLance

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 19
Re: What did you bring to the hearing?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
I went basically empty-handed to my first hearing, there were a couple of documents and photos I brought that weren't needed. I had already verified that all my medical and relevant employment records, plus any correspondence with SSDI was already scanned and on file.

Second hearing, my lawyer had everything including any docs from SSDI/ODAR up through that morning.
Los Angeles, CA

Short Version: Filed in June 2012 at age 46; major depression + general anxiety. Denied all the way through. Fed district court remanded, 2nd hearing delayed twice (11 months total delay). Bench approval at remand hearing in March 2017. Took six months to receive most of back pay.

grove800

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 33
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:26:42 AM »
I went pretty much went empty handed except for my journal that I started using on a daily basis so I had with me if needed.  Good luck to you.
😊

LNR

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:59:44 PM »
I had a full file with all of my records just in case, but the most important piece for me was a summary I had put together with the following: List of medications, work history for the last 15-20 years, major job responsibilities, and history of illness before and after stopping work. My brain felt like it turned to mush once I was in front of the judge, so I was happy to have the summary with all the important dates, etc. to keep me on track, especially since I was going back over a number of years.

Mjwhite1

• ~ Silver ~
  • People helped 1
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »
I had a full file with all of my records just in case, but the most important piece for me was a summary I had put together with the following: List of medications, work history for the last 15-20 years, major job responsibilities, and history of illness before and after stopping work. My brain felt like it turned to mush once I was in front of the judge, so I was happy to have the summary with all the important dates, etc. to keep me on track, especially since I was going back over a number of years.

That is helpful. Thanks! I guess I will leave the records to the attorney and judge and I will do the same, bring a summary in case I forget everything.
Disability: Somatic Symptom Disorder with chronic hand pain, Borderline Personality Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, GAD, PTSD, Mild OCD... 
Onset: 2/18/13 (32)
Applied: 10/05/14 (33) - Denied
Reconsideration: - Denied
A.L.J. Hearing Date: 04/26/17 - Denied 6/10/17
A.C. Appeal - 07/27/17

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 271
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »

That is helpful. Thanks! I guess I will leave the records to the attorney and judge and I will do the same, bring a summary in case I forget everything.

If you have an attorney, ask him her if you should bring a summary or not. 

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 610
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
The ALJ will make his,decision based on medical and non medical evidence and SSA Laws. Anything you say. forms you fill out, etc is non medical evidence.
Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

Howudoinralphie

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 6
  • "Leave the Gun, take the Canoli's
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:36 PM »

Well, The first ALJ hearing I went in with almost 20 lbs of medical documents that spanned almost 20 yrs and a non attorney representative that was put in charge of presenting a case to the judge. I had that and the naive belief that once anyone hears this testimony or reads the reports that It should be a slam dunk....... 

HOLY CHRIST WAS I WRONG

Two more hearings and 2 federal remands I was granted one more ALJ hearing 7 yrs later.

THIS TIME I WENT IN WITH THE CHECHEN ARMY and RUSSIAN armed MILITIA  (its how i felt anyway) AND my Treating psychologist who offered to testify in live open court and give her expert diagnosis to my conditions & evidence to why I do in fact qualify and meet the requirements for SSDI in the 7 yrs she has been treating me.
That , and was ready to answer any question the judge asked. It turns out I could barely speak a word in between my emotional breakdowns and 2 10 minute breaks to try and compose myself enough not to pass out while telling my story....This was my last chance and I wasn't going out without a bloodbath.........I broke down instead....
the ALJ's compassion and ability to look at the evidence in the case and not his own opinions......NEVER GIVE UP ......

"Leave the Gun, take the Cannoli's

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202337
  • Total Topics: 19842
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 28
Total: 31

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.