Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 05:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Please help. After Initial interview I'm confused. Should I make changes?  (Read 601 times)

Socialcolors

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
  I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on my ssi interview and how things generally work. Like how much do you receive and is it livable from? I'm 1000 miles away from my family which aren't any help for reasons I won't get into. If you feel like reading more I'll post below in detail what the interview process was like, how my mental disabilities affect me and a few questions about that.

I have severe mental health issues including autism, generalize anxiety disorder, and chronic depression to name a few.
   I've tried working many times but I cannot hold a job even while getting special "treatment". 
  My last job actually ended because of a suicide attempt that took place at work..
On the paper work it just just says "suicide attempt" for reason for leaving.. should I add which took place at work? Should I add more details to why I left other then "medical conditions"
  Other jobs she didn't even ask why I left or detail, she only wrote "due to medical condition". She also didn't get into special treatment at work, which all were given like easier work, extra breaks when feeling too anxious or if my autism caused my mindd to go places where I couldn't focus on my work anymore (anger, depression, isolation from other co workers). She included wrong addresses for some places.. also I don't remember my exact pay rate she said I would be fine to guess, as well as dates, is this wrong? She also wrote that I don't plan on moving, but I hope I can get my own small apartment or a room with similar minded people, as right now I'm lucky to have somewhere to stay but the atmosphere there is not healthy for me it does add to my depression tremendously.

I really need ssi because I just can't work, it always ends up with me quitting soon after I started. Pretty much all jobs were given to me from word of mouth and to "try and help him out". I'm basically homeless and live off of ramen noodles or fish sticks.  My mind was not made to be in a social or fast paced area I just overload . Plus co workers tease me and call me stupid and other things. Which isn't true I guess  "IQ wise I'm actually gifted" but socially I am basically retarded. I hate using that word but it's the only one i can see that fits..

QUESTION
Should I call and clean this up? I have 4 days to make any changes before the paper work is sent in. Do you think the interviewer did me any favors by keeping special treatment out, and not asking any details. Is it true exact data isn't a big deal or was she being lazy. I thought she was going to help me figure out dates and stuff. (I'm 26 and still don't know my months in order)...
Do I stand a chance in gaining ssi? All my mental disorders are document by doctors and hospital stays.. if I can't live a life then im not going to anymore..  :Main13:

Bonzai

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 387
  • Mean Administrator
If you have mental impairments that are well documented, then the Department of Disability Services (DDS) will obtain your records and review them to see if your impairments are severe enough to meet a listing in the Social Security Blue Book of Adult Impairments:

See:  https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

Your employment history will prove your "failed work attempts".

The Social Security Administration requires proof that you are disabled, and your medical records are key.

Best wishes, don't give up, sometimes it there is not enough documentation to meet a listing for DDS examiners and it takes an Administrative Law Judge Hearing for the Administrative Law Judge to decide that combined, your impairments meet a listing. 
"If one of these engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!" - Ron White

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 240
Do you know if you have enough work credits for SSDI?  Or are you only eligible for SSI?  Are you claiming an onset date prior to your 22nd birthday (if yes, you may be eligible to receive benefits on a parent's work record as long as the parent is receiving retirement or SSDI benefits from SSA or is deceased).

If you are only eligible for SSI, then the SSI maximum payment is $735/month.  It is reduced by 1/3rd if you are not paying your fair share of Living expenses.

SSDI payment amounts can vary greatly depending on work history/earnings.

Socialcolors

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
I don't think I would be elible for that as I've only had on average one short job a year. I hear different things about back pay. Does it start when you become disabled or when you apply?
  On paper I became disabled in 2012, but in reality I've been disabled my whole life I was born autistic and bi polar...

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 240
I don't think I would be elible for that as I've only had on average one short job a year. I hear different things about back pay. Does it start when you become disabled or when you apply?
  On paper I became disabled in 2012, but in reality I've been disabled my whole life I was born autistic and bi polar...

SSDI has retroactive benefits up to 12 months prior to your application date.  However, SSI has no retroactive benefits & cannot be paid sooner than the first of the month following application.

So, if you applied in May 2017 for SSI, your backpay would start counting from June 2017.

SSI is welfare for the disabled & you have to meet resource requirements.  You are not allowed over $2000 in resources (excluding 1 house & 1 car & your household goods).  Additionally, it is vitally important to report all other income to SSA when receiving SSI (even cash gifts you receive, bank interest, and any earnings) because they can all affect your monthly benefit amoount.

Also, if you are currently 26 & have medical records going back to 2012 (5 years), then it would give you an onset date before your 22nd birthday.  If one if your parents is currently receiving SSA benefits or deceased, then you would be eligible for 12 months of backpay of Dependent Adult Child benefits.  And even if they do not currently receive benefits, it is worth trying to prove an onset prior to age 22 if possible because then you would start receiving Dependent Adult Child benefits on their record when they start benefits or pass away.  DAC benefits don't Have the financial resources limits of SSI & are often a higher benefit amount.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:44:11 AM by Helper »

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203526
  • Total Topics: 19963
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.