Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 08:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Can someone please explain dependent benefits to me?!  (Read 662 times)

Keep*going

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
Can someone please explain dependent benefits to me?!
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
I applied for ssdi and am waiting on response.  I've been reading thru posts and have seen a lot about dependent benefits.  What are these and do the children have to be disabled also?  I included 2 children on my application,  one is 8 and one is 11.  Neither is disabled. I am married and my husband does work full time.  If I am approved,  will they receive benefits automatically?  Can they receive benefits?  I also saw many posts about the money being accounted for.  What exactly does that mean?  Saving receipts etc for things it was used for?  I know I haven't been approved,  but I am trying to learn as much as possible.  Thanks
J

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 232
Re: Can someone please explain dependent benefits to me?!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/dfamily4.html

Your children under 18 (or 19 if still in high school) can receive dependent benefits on your account.  They do not need to be disabled.  The dependent benefit amount is typically half your benefit amount (but it is split between the your dependents so if your payment is $1000, then 1 child would get $500 but 2 children would get $250 each).  If you have a very short or very low earnings history, sometimes your family maximum is not high enough to pay a full 50% dependent benefit - but SSA would obviously let you know if that applied to you.

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 232
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:16 PM »
https://www.ssa.gov/payee/  Children have to have a representative payee to manage their money (typically a parent).  The payee has to report how much money was spent, saved, etc annually.

Any money left when the child turns 18 has to be returned to SSA & SSA will give the money directly to the "child".  (Some people choose to spend all the dependent benefits & then save some of their own money for their children's future so they can control how it is used at age 18 instead of the child getting a lump sum.

Keep*going

• ~ Bronze ~
  • People helped 3
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
So is this something we woukd have to file for once I was approved or is it automatic because they are listed on my application? 

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 273
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »
So is this something we woukd have to file for once I was approved or is it automatic because they are listed on my application? 

Listing them on your application protected their rights.  After approval, you'll be notified to make an appointment to process their benefits. 

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202421
  • Total Topics: 19850
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 41
Total: 43

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.