Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2017, 03:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Type 1 Diabetics who have won with shoulder, carpal and mental problems  (Read 1394 times)

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 273
Re: Type 1 Diabetics who have won with shoulder, carpal and mental problems
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 08:36:26 AM »
The portion of the denial you quoted was for SSDI.  Your Date Last Insured was 12/31/2014. 

If you obtained a job with insurance and had better medical care controlling your diabetes, could you manage to work? 

Since having your boyfriend monitor you seems to help, have you considered trying to get a job where you work from home? 

Have you experimented with setting a schedule with alarm prompts to eat snacks/meals that will stabilize your blood sugar and to take your medication at regular intervals?  Have you kept a diary with food intake, blood sugar levels, and needed insulin? 

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 232
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 12:10:52 PM »
Have you considered a diabetes alert service dog to notify you earlier of hypoglycemia?

Sickandtired

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
Helper, I can't afford to have a diabetic alert dog, have already checked into it. But thanks. 

Lit love, I had insurance in 2009 and got on the insulin pump which helped. But, have always had problems even if I ate like a robot. Every job, same problems, pretty much from the gate. I even had a nurse practioner tell me I wasn't being compliant, because every insulin she tried did not work until the pump, even then still had problems but not as much.

I have checked into jobs from home, but don't know.

With alarms, I just spoke to my boyfriend and said I wished I could have some kind of alarm that would let me know if I already took my insulin. I take insulin so many times a day sometimes can't remember if I took, and have tried to devise a system. Like putting my syringe in a separate place for not taken and taken. The problem is keeping with routine 24 hrs 7 days a week. Sometimes I sleep for days at a time, and just wake up long enough to take insulin. Who can wake up to an alarm? Especially when I have high blood sugars from  stress, shoulder, wrist pain depression from diabetes and other things like has been going on most of my days when I started realizing it. Also already have problems just gettin comfortable enough to sleep, even though I can sleep through hurricanes. I don't even want to get up to pee unless I can't take it anymore or will wet the bed.  OK, so tell me like everyone else what to eat, when to eat, etc, etc...  Most people don't have a fr**king clue at all, but they don't hesitate to try to tell me. I have been insulin dependent since the beginning in 1995.  Maybe I could teach a class?

I have had so many diaries.
Thanks

pattysofty

• ~ Titanium ~
  • People helped 5
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
Helper, I can't afford to have a diabetic alert dog, have already checked into it. But thanks. 

Lit love, I had insurance in 2009 and got on the insulin pump which helped. But, have always had problems even if I ate like a robot. Every job, same problems, pretty much from the gate. I even had a nurse practioner tell me I wasn't being compliant, because every insulin she tried did not work until the pump, even then still had problems but not as much.

I have checked into jobs from home, but don't know.

With alarms, I just spoke to my boyfriend and said I wished I could have some kind of alarm that would let me know if I already took my insulin. I take insulin so many times a day sometimes can't remember if I took, and have tried to devise a system. Like putting my syringe in a separate place for not taken and taken. The problem is keeping with routine 24 hrs 7 days a week. Sometimes I sleep for days at a time, and just wake up long enough to take insulin. Who can wake up to an alarm? Especially when I have high blood sugars from  stress, shoulder, wrist pain depression from diabetes and other things like has been going on most of my days when I started realizing it. Also already have problems just gettin comfortable enough to sleep, even though I can sleep through hurricanes. I don't even want to get up to pee unless I can't take it anymore or will wet the bed.  OK, so tell me like everyone else what to eat, when to eat, etc, etc...  Most people don't have a fr**king clue at all, but they don't hesitate to try to tell me. I have been insulin dependent since the beginning in 1995.  Maybe I could teach a class?

I have had so many diaries.
Thanks

OMG! If anyone deserves SSDI, it's you! Sorry you are having such a hard time!

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 273
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
There are programs that will provide free service dogs.

It would seem to be a good idea to provide a current diary of exactly what you eat, when you eat and when you take your meds to your primary care physician, so that you can attempt to work on these issues prior to your hearing regardless of how much the idea irritates you.  The reality is you have the burden to prove to SS complications from your diabetes do not allow you to work at the SGA level even though you are compliant with medical instructions.   An ALJ will expect you to eat like a robot and to set a timer to take your medications as needed.  Even after approval, SS will expect you to utilize Medicare and try to stabilize your physical and mental health so that you can return to work.

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 232
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
Could you make a check off sheet with the times you normally take your insulin on one side and the days of the week on the other so you have a box for each day/time?  And keep the sheet of paper & a pen with your syringes?  Then, when you give yourself insulin, you check the box & make any notes about the time, etc?  Then, if you were not sure if you took the insulin, you could refer back to the sheet.

Or I am assuming the syringes are individually packaged?  You could write the day/time they are supposed to be for on the package.  And then it would be a visual cue later that if you still have a Noon syringe, for example, that you have not yet taken that dose.

Obviously, this is not 100% about SSI approval.....but having a reminder system for yourself to feel the best possible.

Sickandtired

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »

Wanted to let you ll know I am still here, just tied from trying to read all this on ssdfacts forum.  Wanted to find out if my car wrecks would be helpful? It was hard getting doc to fill out info to  Tallahassee if sugars are good enough to still be able to drive, Thank God last accident doc filled out form and I was still able to continue driving. I check before I try to drive, but still so scared if I get in another accident. That is why I don't like to say it here.

Have millions of questions, I need pain management, but clinic does not prescribe pain medicines. I need to sleep comforatably.
Thanks,
Been sleepin,
Candy
highly allergic to dust and feather pillow too. Can't finish anything, like here too.

Helper

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 232
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
Do you have permanent injuries from the car wrecks?  Or do you just mean that you had blood sugar problems that caused you to have an accident?

Inability to drive a car does not mean disability to SSA.  While it would eliminate jobs that require driving all day, SSA assumes you can get another way to work (public transportation - even if it requires moving, taxis - even if it is expensive, etc).

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 612
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 02:21:23 PM »
Sometimes it takes trying several pain doctors or clinics before you find one that is right for you.  Some pain doctors do not start patients off of opiates. Those that do often start with the mildest and lowest dose med. If the pain is severe and chronic you keep trying until you find a doctor that will help.

Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

bevg

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 13
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
Sick a tired. If you're any where close to New Orleans LA send me a pm. I have a pm there that I love.  They are wonderful with pain but will not assist in any way with disability other than sending records.  The first visit was very well documented.  After that. It was just so so....
Bev

Sickandtired

• ~ Copper ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 07:12:02 PM »
Helper, totaled 3 cars, just broke my collar bone in one of them from seat belt. Thank God I wasn't totaled. All were from low blood sugars. Also, been rechecking to see if there are any places that offer free service dogs. I just don't think anything is free. It costs money to breathe. Thanks

Bevg, I am in Florida, and have no insurance, but thanks.

Thanks to everybody who responds, means a lot. :Confused20:

Lit Love

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 273
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 07:29:28 PM »
Helper, totaled 3 cars, just broke my collar bone in one of them from seat belt. Thank God I wasn't totaled. All were from low blood sugars. Also, been rechecking to see if there are any places that offer free service dogs. I just don't think anything is free. It costs money to breathe. Thanks

Bevg, I am in Florida, and have no insurance, but thanks.

Thanks to everybody who responds, means a lot. :Confused20:

While I can understand your wanting to continue having the independence of driving, at what point do you choose to accept that you may kill yourself or others if there is no way for you to guarantee your blood sugar will be stable when you drive? 

Here is an example of a FL non-profit that might be able to provide you with a service dog.  http://servicedogsfl.org

Kicksnomore

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 11
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
I agree with Lit Love.  You are not only endangering your life, but the life of others if you drive while unable to stablize your blood sugar.  It is very difficult to accept , yet for the sake of yourself and others, you need to reconsider driving.  I really hope you are able to find help.

grove800

• -
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 33
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »
I also agree with Lit Love.  Please don't endanger others and yourself by driving. 
😊

Just Me

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 612
  • Nice Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
I do not understand how you are able to drive if your symptoms are as severe as you say they are. I also do not understand why you would take a chance on killing innocent people and yourself. If you have an accident and kill or severely injure others you could be criminally charged. Nothing about jail is good including the medical care. If you were arrested how would you pay for bond, a good attorney, court costs, etc ?
Hope the size of a mustard seed can produce Faith that can move mountains.

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202443
  • Total Topics: 19853
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 30
Total: 31

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.