Questions about how to use the forum?

Visit our new Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2017, 05:45:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

You are no longer alone ...

Author Topic: Question about Third Party Function Report  (Read 3007 times)

SFVLance

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 19
Question about Third Party Function Report
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
I am just now starting to look into filing for SSDI, based on severe, recurrent depression and anxiety. I have had these issues for more than four years, and have actually been disabled for about 18 months.

One problem I can already see is the Third Party Function Report.  The application asks for a friend or relative who can provide info about me and my disability, but because of the nature of my depression, I had actually gone out of my way to hide or mask the severity from them, and I live alone.  Some of my friends are aware that I battle depression, but my psychiatrist is the only one who is aware of the severity.  Trying to keep it a secret seems to add more to the anxiety. Sadly, I have alienated and avoided a lot of my friends for quite some time.

Will not really having someone else to back up the disability derail my entire claim?

Thank you all for your input.
Los Angeles, CA

Short Version: Filed in June 2012 at age 46; major depression + general anxiety. Denied all the way through. Fed district court remanded, 2nd hearing delayed twice (11 months total delay). Bench approval at remand hearing in March 2017. Took six months to receive most of back pay.

SSDAdmin

• Administrator
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 382
Re: Question about Third Party Function Report
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site,

You have not yet filed for SSDI correct?  If you are sure that this is what you want to do, you need to do it asap as your benefits will only go back a year prior to the date of the application and you stated you have been disabled for almost 18 months. 

The third party report is an optional report.  It may or may not be requested by social security.  The fact you have isolated from a lot of people actually supports your claim and if that is all they can provide that would be ok.

The most important part of proving a disability claim is medical documentation.  If you are getting treatment and your psychiatrist is on board with you that will help a lot.

Marci
I speak from experience not expertise.

Kittyholic

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 38
  • The Catwhisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:42 AM »
Welcome SFVLance:

The Third Party Function report is typically only requested when someone helps you with activities of daily living. In your case, it is doubtful it will be requested. Like Marci said, your medical records will be the most important.

Let us know how we can help.

Pati
The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it. (Richard Bach)

Dragon Fly

• Glitter Queen SSDFacts Doughnator
  • SSDFacts VIP
  • ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 25
  • Mood Swing Goddess of the West Tinfoil Crinkle
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »
Hi Lance,
Welcome to the site!
Glad you founds us...
Read, read, read as much as you can on here. It will really help you get an idea for what SSA is looking for.

Best of luck!
>;<
Dragon Fly
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." --  Friedrich Nietzsche

SFVLance

• ~ Platinum ~
  • People helped 19
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
Thank you all for your input. I would have responded earlier, but I had no internet connection for a few days.

I put down the contact information of a friends who knows about my condition, and if they contact her she will make it clear that we don't see each other every day and she does not assist me with my ADL. If they need more then that, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Los Angeles, CA

Short Version: Filed in June 2012 at age 46; major depression + general anxiety. Denied all the way through. Fed district court remanded, 2nd hearing delayed twice (11 months total delay). Bench approval at remand hearing in March 2017. Took six months to receive most of back pay.

jadahope

• ~ Gold ~
  • People helped 0
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »
my soon to be ex was supposed to fill one out for me and he refused and i had forgotton to fill out mine and i still managed to get my disability.

good luck and hope it all goes well for you.

If this site has helped you in any way please make a donation towards the running of it by clicking below.

Use Paypal by clicking below

:thanx:

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 202443
  • Total Topics: 19853
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 246
  • (June 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

Prescription Drugs

Prescription Drug Assistance Programs

Please use the pull down menu below to select a prescription drug. 

This will instantly take you to that post in our forum.